2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 11:42 AM by screenmick

InDesign crashes when trying to insert a new page!

screenmick

I use InDesign CS6 on a PC Win7.

Suddenly yesterday when I tried to insert pages in one of the chapters in a book I am working on (12 chapters, 260 pages)  the software crashed!

I have tried 7 times more after that with different changes, like only open the chapter I want to insert pages in, restart the computer and so on.

Every time I try there is a "pling"-sound and It still crashes.

What to do?

• 1. Re: InDesign crashes when trying to insert a new page!
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately there are lots of different things that can cause crashing behavior.

Here is a list of things you could try:

• Check that you have the latest version of InDesign CS6 installed. Help > About InDesign (should be 8.0.2) - Adobe - InDesign : For Windows : Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.2 update - All Languages
          • Save the document as an InDesign IDML file, and reopen that IDML file in InDesign, then save it as an InDesign file again.
          • Create a copy of the InDesign document and try opening that and adding a new page.
          • In the open InDesign document before adding a page: Edit > Preferences > Type, deselect the Smart Text Reflow option.
          • Delete cache files (see: InDesign preferences and support files locations page)
          • Rename InDesign preferences file (or delete).
          • Disable/Uninstall any third party plug-ins that are installed, and check that any third party plug-ins or extensions that are installed are compatible with the InDesign version used (depending on how they are installed you could do this from the Adobe Extension Manager application - see http://helpx.adobe.com/extension-manager.html).

If all of this fails, you might need to try and isolate which object in your document is causing the crash. That's generally a time-consuming task, but hopefully one or some of the above combined will provide you with a fix.

Cari

• 2. Re: InDesign crashes when trying to insert a new page!
            screenmick Level 1

Carl,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I realized after a while that it was only one document that was "buggy.

I tried to solve the problem by creating a new empty document and then copied the data from the distorted

file, two pages at the time, and pasted it into the new document.

It worked. It is solved!

Mikael