5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 8:55 AM by C Rad

In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another

C Rad Level 1

I am trying to copy my photos from one external drive  (formatted MAC only) to another that is formatted ExFAT to allow me to use photos on both PC and Mac.

The one that has all my files  are all on LR catalog.  LR won't allow me to copy the folders to new external drive...IMPORT is not highlighted.  Please help.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you really mean you are trying to copy the files? Or are you trying to move them? In either case, what error message are you receiving?

• 2. Re: In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another
            C Rad Level 1

Hello JIm,

Yes, I'm trying to copy of about 800 GB of photos and video from a 3T onto a 4 T drive so I can have 2 cys of my files.

I want to use the 4T as my main access point for my files and use the 3T as a backup,

I prefer not to leave both the Backups on my desk would rather store them elsewhere when not in use,

Currently some of the 3T files have been LRd, but not keyworded and placed in collections. 

I thought it was critical to move files that have been LRd through LR when moving to a new destination, however since they are already in the catalog

the import button is dark so I can't COPY or MOVE them

How would you suggest I tweak LR to know photos destination preference has been changed?

Should I  just

Go to FInder / make a cy/ paste in new 4T/ Run thru LR  -

Yikes this will double my work and take forever!  Surely, my LR friends can provide me with a

more streamlined solution. 

Grateful for your time!

• 3. Re: In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, you don't want images in Lightroom twice in two different locations. If you move or copy the images using Finder you still won't be able to import them into Lightroom again. If Lightroom won't let you copy or move your images it's probably because your permissions on your hard drives are not set properly.

• 4. Re: In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another
                dj_paige Level 9

There is no function in Lightroom for photos that have already been imported, to copy from one location to another. Move is possible, copy is not.

Instead, you need to make the copies in your operating system, then in Lightroom, point Lightroom to the photos new location via right-clicking on the top level folder and selecting Update Folder Location.

Yikes this will double my work and take forever!

Copying all those photos will take a long time, no matter what method you do it.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT YOUR PHOTOS. Let me say that again, with emphasis: DO NOT RE-IMPORT YOUR PHOTOS.

With regards to using the 3T as the backup once this is completed, how are you going to make backups of new photos taken after today?

• 5. Re: In LR 5 cannot copy folders from one external device to another
                  C Rad Level 1

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your help This helps so much.

I plan to continue to use the 3TB as backup until full, then purchasing a new 4TB to continue my backup.  Appreciate alternate suggestions.