11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2014 7:28 PM by Jao vdL

Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?

Zweigphoto

Im trying to find out whether the Canon 7G Mark II has been added to the Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Raw Converter

• 1. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not yet. A lot of people are waiting for the next Lightroom update in order to get that support. But there has been no release date announced.

• 2. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
            Zweigphoto Level 1

Jim,

Are you a photographer or with Adobe ?

I think there is no excuse for this.  I contacted Canon Tech Support and they say the file is available.

From my point of view if these company's don't get there act together they will go the way of Kodak .

What's to stop Apple of Google to produce competing cameras to Canon ?

They certainly have the brainpower and resources

• 3. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am only a photography hobbyist. I am NOT associated with Adobe. But you have to understand that there is no cooperation between camera makers and Adobe. To the camera makers, Adobe is just another company making software, and they could care less whether or not Adobe supports their cameras or not. After all, Canon and other manufacturers produce their own software.

The problem is exacerbated because camera makers insist on using proprietary raw file formats. This forces Adobe to acquire a camera once it is available on the market, and then create profiles that will support that camera. This is a costly and time consuming process. One cannot expect Adobe to release an update every time a single camera is released. There are Nikon users waiting for updates as well.

This is a terribly frustrating situation for photographers who clamor to acquire the latest technology available. Until the camera manufacturers decide to adapt a common file format, this waiting for camera support is always going to be a problem.

If Canon says support is available, they don't know what they are talking about. From what I have heard, Canon software doesn't even support this new camera yet. Apparently a few of the camera reviewers were given an advance beta copy of either Camera Raw for Lightroom that supports this new camera. But it isn't available to anyone else at this time. It is anticipated that the updates will be released soon. In the meantime, you're going to have to just wait.

• 4. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

zweigphoto wrote:

From my point of view if these company's don't get there act together they will go the way of Kodak.

This exact situation has existed since Lr 1 (and before that) and yet, here we all are.

You need to understand a few things: the 7D Mk II has just been released; the camera companies don't talk to Adobe, much less provide them with cameras; it takes time and (limited) resources to profile cameras; and releases are tied to a fairly inflexible timetable.

So how - exactly - do you expect Adobe (or DxO, or Phase One, or Picturecode, or any other third-party Raw converter provider, all of whom have the same problems) to have a 7D Mk II release out yet?

And - of course - if you'd bothered to search, you'd know the score:

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=7d+mark+II&place=%2Fplaces%2F1383621&depth=ALL

• 5. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

JimHess wrote:

From what I have heard, Canon software doesn't even support this new camera yet.

DPP 4.1 supports the 7D Mk II, Jim - does a reasonably good job on the files, too.

It's also worth mentioning that although not officially supported, Photo Ninja and (the free) Raw Therapee also handle 7D Mk II files.

• 6. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They also have a release schedule of approximately every 3 months, unfortunately new cameras come out more often than that and it takes some months to get a release finalized.  Over on DPReview there are images that say they were converted using a private ACR 8.7 beta so Adobe has determined what to do to support the camera, but releasing new software is not instantaneous and new that Lightroom Mobile is part of the mix, we don't even get a release-candidate (public beta) before the final release like we used to.

• 7. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                      Zweigphoto Level 1

I must live in  a different world than you. 

In my world 3 months seems to be a ridiculously long time to get something like this developed and implemented.Everything is traveling much faster than that these days.

Poor, poor excuse for a technology company to take 3 months to implement this type of change.

• 8. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                        DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Sorry while I understand your frustration, Adobe did not sell you the camera. If your workflow is critical to the use of Adobe Lightroom then it up to you to ensure that support is available for your camera model before you click the "Buy" button to place the order for the camera. Best to direct your frustration to Canon not to Adobe.

• 9. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                          Zweigphoto Level 1

It is a shame that you as a Represenative from Adobe don't understand the broader issue.

This is not how a customer service oriented company should operate.

Your answer places all the responsibility on my shoulders.

How ridiculous is that ??

Ben Zweig

DCEventPhoto.com & Zweigphoto.com

202-744-7352

• 10. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

This is a user to user forum and the replies you receive here are mainly from users like yourself. I am not an Adobe employee.

To put things in perspective your camera manufacturer has no interest in whether Adobe provides support for your camera or not.

• 11. Re: Has a RAW converter for the Canon 7G MarkII been added yet?
                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>This is not how a customer service oriented company should operate.

Indeed Canon should work with third party raw conversion providers (Apple, Adobe, DxO, PhaseOne) to provide raw support from the day they release the camera by giving access to prerelease cameras or by using an open raw format. Canon (like Nikon) is not a customer-oriented company as they don't seem to understand that very few photographers use their dinky software and that the overwhelming majority prefer third party raw converters. Instead they expect Apple, Adobe, PhaseOne, etc. to go out to the store when a new hot camera comes out, buy a few copies and profile the new camera (quite a laborious process) and reverse engineer the raw file format and push out an update to their raw converter when it is added before their customers get raw support. These companies don't get these cameras any quicker than you or I do. To the contrary Canon or Nikon could have Apple, Adobe, etc. provide support for their cameras from day one by sharing some info, or by simply using an open raw format such as dng. Other camera makers do this and their cameras' raw files are usually supported right away.

The big two are not going to get this until they hear that we refuse to buy their cameras without third-party raw support. Some like Thom Hogan have actually already claimed that slow initial sales of many new Nikon and Canon cameras was caused by this. Apparently people are wisely waiting for third party raw converters to have support for new cameras before buying. I know I do this as Lightroom ACR, and Aperture are my main raw tools.