9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2014 11:26 AM by dj_paige

Storage management workflow

Jonathan.G

Hello,

I am new to LR and i need some help in finding an efficient way to manage my storage management.

I have LR running on a SSD and also have an 1TB internal hardrive.

I am planning on setting up a 4TB RAID mirror set up, just wanted to know your advice on this?

Would i save everything on the raid i.e Lightroom catalogue, photos, final edited images, (essentially everything) ... or is this not a good workflow for storage management?

Would greatly appreciate any advice & also any other alternatives on how to go about storage management.

• 1. Re: Storage management workflow
          dj_paige Level 9

Normally, you want you Lightroom catalog file on your fastest disk, unless you have some other over-riding reason for putting it elsewhere.

Normally, with Lightroom, you don't save a copy of your final edited images on your hard disks, as the final edited image can always be displayed and created by Lightroom; in other words, your exported final images are considered temporary, and deleted once their use is completed (e-mail, web, print, etc.) knowing you can re-create them again exactly as before by exporting another copy.

Your original photos can go on any online disk you want.

Backups of original photos and backups of your catalog file can go on any disk you want, online or offline.

• 2. Re: Storage management workflow
            Jonathan.G Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

Normally, with Lightroom, you don't save a copy of your final edited images on your hard disks, as the final edited image can always be displayed and created by Lightroom; in other words, your exported final images are considered temporary, and deleted once their use is completed (e-mail, web, print, etc.) knowing you can re-create them again exactly as before by exporting another copy.

Thanks for your reply but Im not sure i follow.. So if i wanted to access a final edit, how will i do so?

In regards to my previous post, would you say the mirror RAID set up is sufficient?

• 3. Re: Storage management workflow
              Jonathan.G Level 1

And sorry i forgot to add, if i have the catalogue on the SSD does it eat up a lot of space?

• 4. Re: Storage management workflow
                dj_paige Level 9

So if i wanted to access a final edit, how will i do so?

As I said, when you need a photo outside of Lightroom, you export it, use it, and then you can delete the exported photo when you are done using it. No need (in most situations) to keep it on your hard disk permanently.

In regards to my previous post, would you say the mirror RAID set up is sufficient?

Sufficient for what?

• 5. Re: Storage management workflow
                  dj_paige Level 9

And sorry i forgot to add, if i have the catalogue on the SSD does it eat up a lot of space?

This is a very vague question, the catalog takes up the space that its going to take up. This depends on a huge amount of factors, and it is unlikely I could tell you in advance how much space it will take up, nor could I say if that amount of space is what you consider to be "a lot of space". How large is your SSD?

• 6. Re: Storage management workflow
                    Jonathan.G Level 1

I apologise for the 'very vague' questions. I am completely new to this software and just trying to get my head around it.

• 7. Re: Storage management workflow
                      dj_paige Level 9

You have to understand something ... I don't know you, I don't know your photography, I don't know how many photos you have now or how many photos you will be adding a year, and you are asking for answers without providing details, answers that cannot reasonably be predicted (space needed by a catalog) or answers that you can compute yourself (space needed to store and make backups of your collection).

We can give good advice here on workflow and good advice on how to use Lightroom; but you already know how much space your photos are taking up, you don't need us for that; and I cannot predict catalog sizes.

• 8. Re: Storage management workflow
                        Jonathan.G Level 1

Like i said previously, i apologise for the vague question. I am not sure how this catalogue works and since i have 45GB of space left on my SSD i wasnt sure how quickly this gets eaten up. But now knowing that it depends on various factors i.e how many photos ill add so on and so forth it makes more sense.

Thank you for taking your time to reply to my post.

Regards

• 9. Re: Storage management workflow
                          dj_paige Level 9

You might want to try experimenting with your catalog, first put it on an actual hard disk (not an SSD) and see how much space it takes up (also how much space the associated previews in the folder whose name ends with Previews.LRDATA take up), and if that will fit on your SSD and still leave room for growth of the catalog and preview size on the SSD, then move them there.