2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 7:14 AM by alexonNook

Nook error: User not activated

karentheredbaron

I recently had my Nook Simple Touch returned from a family member and wanted to set it up for my use again.  I reset the Nook, downloaded Adobe Digital Editions to my PC, logged in with my Adobe ID and authorized my pc. I borrowed a book from my library and downloaded it to my PC using Adobe Digital Editions.  I then connected my Nook, authorized it and loaded the book.  However, when I attempt to open the book on the Nook, I get the "user not activated" error.

I have started everything from scratch and this worked fine for me when I first got the Nook a couple of years ago.  I have removed the "Digital Editions" and ".adobe_digital_editions" folders and tried again, but still have the same result.  I do see that the Digital Editions folder gets recreated but never see the .adobe_digital_editions folder.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Nook error: User not activated
          aethere

Did you figure this out? I"m having the same problem.

• 2. Re: Nook error: User not activated
            alexonNook Level 1

Sep 2016 - I have only recently bought a Nook (Simple Touch Glowlight 4GB) and have had the error, 'User not activated', with 3 of the eBooks I have bought from online retailers.  (I live in the UK and we are not allowed to buy directly from Barnes and Noble !!)

I have been receiving an '.acsm' file then downloading the EPUB file using Adobe Digital Editions.  At this point I can read the book on screen on my iMac but when I sideload it on to my Nook, the Nook does not allow me to read it - 'User not activated'.

I have then used an independent, free, eBook program called, 'Calibre', to load the first, downloaded EPUB file into Calibre's own 'library'.  At this point I go to the Calibre Library folder on the Mac and copy that version directly on to the Nook.

I don't understand what the difference is or why it works - I did wonder if Calibre stripped out the copyright (DRM) stuff from the eBook but I don't believe it can do that.

I hope this helps.