6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2014 12:08 PM by dj_paige

How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?

fernwood

I currently have LR and just purchased the newest version.  When I download it will it replace the one I currently use or will it be a separate application I can open.  I fear it my jeopardize sessions I currently have in progress.

• 1. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would really help if you would provide the exact version number that you have been using as well as which version you just purchased. Depending on how old your current version is will have an impact on what you should expect from the new one. However, generally speaking, installing a new version entails installing in addition to what you have already been using. The new version will create a converted copy of your existing catalog which will be updated to the new version. Your previous version will still be installed and completely usable as it has been in the past. Your new version will provide access to all of the same images and will provide you with all the new features that you can use to modify those images. When/if you decide that you no longer need the older version you can uninstall it from your system. There is nothing in the new version that will rely on any part of the previous program.

• 2. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
            dj_paige Level 9

In addition to Jim Hess's statement, it is probably not a good idea to use multiple versions of Lightroom at the same time as one version of Lightroom will not know what is being done in the other version of Lightroom. (Exception: for learning or testing, you might want to use two versions of Lightroom).

I would advise you to upgrade all of your previous work done in Lightroom to the newest version.

• 3. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
              fernwood Level 1

My version is 4.4

I basically wanted to install the new one and use it to start editing a new session.  However, when I need to go back a find a photo to make it ready for order, I was worried it my not "cooperate with me".  I want to use it as TWO separate programs for about a month or so.  It sounds like it IS possible to do this?

• 4. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could start over with a whole new catalog. But I really wouldn't recommend doing that. You'll find many of the operations function the same in Lightroom 5 as they do in your Lightroom 4.4. And you can prepare a photo for order from it just as easily as you can from your older version. But the choice is yours. I just believe that you will complicate things as you progress into your transition to Lightroom 5.

• 5. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
                  fernwood Level 1

Ok.  As long as I won't lose access to anything I guess I am safe.  Thank you!

• 6. Re: How will my NEW LR download effect my current LR?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I'm not clear on what you mean by "not cooperate with me". If all of your photos are in a Lightroom 5 catalog, of course it will allow you to do what you want.

My opinion is strongly against using two separate versions of Lightroom for real work (which is what it sounds like you are contemplating), as this will just slow you down and cause confusion. On the other hand, if you want to spend a week or so working on "not-real work photos" so you can learn the new features of Lightroom (which does not sound like what you are contemplating) then I think that's fine.

To tell you the truth, I see almost zero drawbacks to upgrading your catalogs to version 5; everything you can do in Lightroom 4 remains the same in Lightroom 5, and of course there are new features in Lightroom 5 as well.