7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 10:29 AM by lgalella

Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014

lgalella

After upgrading to Yosemite OSX, Photoshop CC 2014 keeps getting a "Not Responding" message.  The wheel spins endlessly.  Eventually it will unfreeze and I can continue the task at hand.  Has anyone else experienced or found a fix for this? It is crucial that I do not have a 15 minute delay between tasks as all of my jobs are on tight schedules.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
          Level 7

No, I haven't seen or heard of that kind of delay/hang in CC 2014.

What exactly are you doing when it hangs?

Can you get a sample from the Activity Monitor to show what is going on when it hangs?

But if you need to get work done, you may want to consider downgrading to a stable version of MacOS.

• 2. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
            lgalella Level 1

I looked in to downgrading and it doesn't seem to be an option for me.   

All I am doing when it hangs is trying to open or save a file.  I suspect it has something to do with how my system is set up, but I never had any problems prior to the upgrade.  I took some bad advice from a colleague on that one.

I am running parallels 10 with windows 8 in coherence mode as I am running a test web server from my machine.  Photoshop and Dreamweaver access the files that are on the VM and this is where everything is stored.  Its always worked flawlessly.  I have 16 GB of Ram, 500 GB Solid State Drive and a Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

The activity monitor is showing very high RAM usage.  (See attached Screen Shot)2014-11-08_18-06-36.jpg

Here is screen shot once photoshop stops responding.  All I did was try to open an existing file.

2014-11-08_18-11-30.jpg

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  My computer is a very expensive paperweight at the moment, and I am several days behind on a project.

• 3. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As a Creative Cloud subscriber you can install and use earlier versions CC and CS6. If these work and you are not reliant on the CC 2014 features, this will hopefully get you on track. Access the earlier versions by selection Previous Version on Find new apps.

Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.26.36 AM.png

• 4. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
                lgalella Level 1

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately, that did not work.  I have also tried a fresh install of CC 2014 and that also did not work.

• 5. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, I wish it did.

Another trick would be to install Mavericks on an external drive, select it as the boot, and install PS CC 2014 on it.

I remember testing new HDDs that way.

Gene

• 6. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
                    Level 7

According to the activity monitor, you have a LOT of problems going on with multiple applications.

And it shows Photoshop only using 700 Meg of memory - that isn't a lot.

While Photoshop is hung, please double click on the Photoshop app, then click the Sample button so we can see where Photoshop is hanging.

• 7. Re: Yosemite upgrade breaks Photoshop CC 2014
                      lgalella Level 1

Thank you for your help.  All of the Red items are chrome helper items.  Since chrome isn't giving me an issue I've been overlooking that for now.  I am trying to copy / paste the contents of the sample file and the forums are telling me it can't post.