3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 11:52 AM by Ellis home

How do I place translucent text over an image in InDesign?

danni95

I have placed text on top of an image and am trying to make it look translucent. However, when I select the text box, go to Object > Effects > Transparency, select Text and reduce opacity to 70% and hit OK, it does reduce the transparency of the text but also appears to raise the brightness of the image underneath. I've also tried putting the text in a separate layer from the image but it still happens. How can I make it so that just the text changes? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How do I place translucent text over an image in InDesign?
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Which version of InDesign are you seeing this issue in danni95?

I can't replicate the issue in InDesign CC (2014.1 Release).

However, am thinking what you are seeing is related to the display of transparency. If the InDesign document were to be converted to PDF v1.3 (Acrobat 4 compatibility) or EPS, the text will be outlined, and the text frame area will become a rasterized region.

There's a couple of things you could do to check all is OK, and things are merely a display issue.

1. Open up the Effects panel (Window > Effects) and ensure that the 70% opacity on Text is the only setting applied. No other Effects, Blending Modes or Opacity settings applied elsewhere?
          2. View the document with Overprint Preview enabled (View > Overprint Preview). Do you still see the issue? If it disappears, I'd not be too concerned with the issue, as in final output things will be OK.
          3. Thirdly you can try using the Flattener Preview panel (Window > Output > Flattener Preview), to further isolate the issue.

Regards,

Cari

• 2. Re: How do I place translucent text over an image in InDesign?
            danni95 Level 1

I am also using the 2014.1 version. I did all 3 things you suggested and the image is still lightened in the preview modes. I've also talked to Adobe Care on Twitter about the issue and they couldn't replicate it either. Think I'm just going to give up! Thank you for the help.

• 3. Re: How do I place translucent text over an image in InDesign?
              Ellis home Level 4

Try Edit/Transparency Blend Space/Document RGB