3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 2:32 AM by Migintosh

How to delete tab-space in one go?

rapirap

Hello,

On every paragraph on my layout, I have this unwanted tab-space.

How do you remove tab-space in paragraphs (Marked as Red) in one press without affecting the other tab-space (Marked as Green)?

I have an idea of using the Find feature but I don't know what the code for tab-space is.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 10.30.29 AM-01.jpg

• 1. Re: How to delete tab-space in one go?
          Ellis home Level 4

Try on GREP Find what: ^\t and Change to: nothing (leave it blank). Test it and let us know if it works.

• 2. Re: How to delete tab-space in one go?
            rapirap Level 1

Thank you, Ellis!

I used ^t then changed it to nothing but the 5 consecutive tab-spaces get changed too.

So I typed ^t^t^t^t^t then changed it to space so it would not be included if I did the first step.

Then changed the ….. (5 spaces) and changed it back  to ^t^t^t^t^t.

Now the format is clean. Thank you for answering.

• 3. Re: How to delete tab-space in one go?
              Migintosh Level 4

rapirap wrote:

I used ^t then changed it to nothing but the 5 consecutive tab-spaces get changed too.

You were in the wrong part of the find/change window. See the following screenshot:

ss1.png

If you are in the Text portion of the window, ^t is the code to find any tab. If you replace that with nothing and click the Change All button, it will find every tab in your search area and replace it with nothing. You can't do what you want in one step that way.

If you click on the GREP portion (as Ellis had suggested):

ss2.png

…the ^t code won't work, because GREP is different from Text. In GREP, \t is the code for tabs, and the ^ before the \t tells it to look for only the tabs at the beginning of paragraphs. You could hit the Change All button and it will remove all of the tabs at the beginning of paragraphs, but not the 5 tabs in a row.

That said, why do you want 5 tabs in a row? If you describe what you are trying to do, I'm sure there are much better ways to work. And you may also want to think about not using two spaces after a period. That's an old typewriter rule that hasn't been recommended since desktop publishing began many years ago.