3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 12:47 AM by Willi Adelberger

What is the best way to have optionally printed text?

Jakra

Hi,

I'm a teacher, and write my exams in inDesign (because the formatting is so very much more reliable than Word!).

In my exams I leave space for the students to write by having a series of underlined tabs the full width of the text box, then line break and repeat.

I want to add the answer key into those lines, and have the answer printed OPTIONALLY. So in a single document, I can print the exam question, then print the answer key. I'm hoping not to have to duplicate the questions in a second layer, as this would then require me to edit in two places if I need to change question. The same would go for an overlay layer with the answers in it, that would depend on identical positioning of the two layers.

Can anyone offer advice on how to design a document which allows full-width lines for students to write on AND non-printing text on those lines that can be optionally printed.

Using CS6 on OS X 10.9.

Please ask if I haven't supplied sufficient detail.

Thanks.

--James

• 1. Re: What is the best way to have optionally printed text?
          Ellis home Level 4

I think you can do it using Conditional Text. Select the answers and create a condition. And then you can choose to hide all the text with that condition.

• 2. Re: What is the best way to have optionally printed text?
            Jakra Level 1

Thanks Ellis home,

Because the conditional text impacts upon tabbed lines, I'll need to create two different conditional texts, one of just the lines, and the other of the answers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to apply conditional text as part of a style, which would enable me to set whole paragraphs as conditional at a time.

But in any case, it is the best solution available.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: What is the best way to have optionally printed text?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Another solution is to work with styles.

I had once the same problem. My solution was:

Create a style with letters with no color, only underline and for check boxes, I created 2 styles, one correct, one wrong, but both with a checkbox, looking identical. The checkbox was defined as bullet list.

Then I created an alternative layout (content is linked with new styles). In the  alternative layout styles I changed the text color to something visible and the bullets were instead of a box an ok symbol and a false symbol.

Once created, this style could be reused every time.