9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 8:42 AM by jstifel

How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?

jstifel Level 1

I've been running PageMaker 6.5 in Windows XP Pro SP 3 for several years, but my XP system has broken down and I have had to upgrade to a Windows 7 Pro machine. How can I install PM 6.5 or newer upgrade so I can open, edit, and create new PageMaker files in the Windows 7 Pro operating system?

I'm sure PageMaker has upgraded several times since I last purchased it, but I have no idea what the current upgrade is. What is the oldest, most affordable upgrade which will still open and edit PM 6.5 files and still install in Windows 7 Pro?

Thank you so much. I've written an educational program to teach and help Military Combat Vets who suffer PTSD and I'm doing the training free of charge,so I can't really afford to pay for a major software upgrade.

Judi Stifel :--)

Port St. Lucie, Florida

• 1. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PM is DEAD. There is no version supported under Windows 7. This forum is

filled with threads from folks like you. Some have gotten to to work…most

have not.

• 2. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

The last PageMaker update was 12 years ago. The only really viable option is to get an XP system (can be had very cheaply, or you'll find a friend has one they didn't throw out). You'll also need original disk and serial.

• 3. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
              jstifel Level 1

Thank you both for responding.  I do have one system with XP running so I can open PM files and edit and then save as PDF and transfer to the Win. 7 system, unless the XP system dies again.. which still leaves me in an insecure position.

What program took over for PM and still opens old PM 6.5 files?   It's scary to think that my crashed XP system is the only link between my good PM files that I still use and disaster. If my XP system dies again and can't be revived, I'm in trouble.  Yes, I have two sets of new XP disks but my computer keeps spitting them out...  So far, so good... but for how long I don't know.   So much for proprietary systems.

Any suggestions for an upgrade from PM to another replacement program that Adobe put in place to carry on with PM files?

Thanks again.

Judi

• 4. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?

InDesign took over, and for some years would open PM files. But that is in the past too. The last version which did that was InDesign CS6, not sure if you can still get it. It imports, and some reformatting likely to be needed. You really missed all of the boats some time in the last decade and a half.

I recommend you copy the PageMaker install disk and put it somewhere safe (someone else's house), with the serial number and the backups of your work. That will be the impossible thing to replace, you'll be able to pick up or borrow an XP computer for years to come. If you manage to read an XP disk, duplicating it sounds a good plan.

• 5. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The replacement is InDesign. CS6 will open PM 6-7 files but is now two versions out of date and the conversions will be anywhere from pretty good to practically useless.

If I were you I would be looking to change my workflow and dump PM from it as soon as possible. No new projects should be started using it.

• 6. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
                    jstifel Level 1

Thanks to both of you for the good feedback and advice, which I will follow.

What layout program is Adobe selling now for Windows users?  PM was an excellent program, and I did a lot of cross-platform work using it with my Mac commercial printers back in the day.

Thanks again.

Judi :-)

• 7. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?

InDesign. I hope I didn't give the impression InDesign is superseded too, they just gave up the PageMaker import.

But it is a fast moving app, and is now on something like its 12th release.

• 8. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
                        Jay Chevako Level 3

A few things to note.
                        InDesign is a professional page layout program and is priced accordingly.  You can "buy" IDCS6 for $699 or you can pay $20 a month (yearly contract) for IDCC, which will get you access to IDCS6.

The conversions from Pagemaker to  InDesign can vary widely. Some can be almost spot on, others can be a garbled mess.

Some people have talked about Serif page plus (about $120) which will not open Pagemaker documents but will supposedly edit pdf files. I haven't tried it myself So I don't know how good or bad it is.

Whatever you do, if you still have access to an xp system with Pagemaker make high resolution pdf copies of any Pagemaker document that you think you will need.
                        Jay

• 9. Re: How Do I Get PageMaker 6.5 Installed on Windows 7 Pro?
                          jstifel Level 1

Thank you so much Jay.  You have given me the answer which hits the bottom line for me.  Holding onto XP and being able to edit PDF files would be the way for me to go.

Thank you everyone for your help.  I really appreciate it and so do the Vets with PTSD who I am trying to help.

Judi :-)