5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 8:13 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)

laurarrrgh

I have a 10 minute wedding video I am trying to export from Adobe Premiere Elements 9 to upload to vimeo. I followed the directions from this video: Exporting for upload to Vimeo with Adobe Premiere Elements on Vimeo to figure how to accomplish this. The first time I followed the directions, the resulting video file was fuzzy and blurry, not at all like the HD video I could view in the program before export. Since then, I've tried exporting it multiple times with different settings, and each time the program crashes when the video is around 95% complete. How can I rectify this situation? This is a wedding video I made for a paying customer who would like their video on vimeo as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help!

Let me know if you need more details or clarifications.

Laura

• 1. Re: Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Laura

What are the properties of what you are putting on the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline? Are you working with a SD or HD file?

What have you set as the project preset when you started the projec?

1. So, video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio...as

much information as you can supply....sometimes the brand, model, settings of the camera recording the video will give us all the

information that you need to set up the project correctly or to verify that it has been set up correctly.

Case Study....

Let us assume that your video is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Project Preset in New Project Dialog

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

When you go to take your Timeline content to Vimeo from within the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 feature

Share/Online, you will discover that there is no Vimeo choice in that version.

So, what you are going to do is to export your Timeline to a file (AVCHD.mp4) saved to your computer hard drive and then upload that file

to Vimeo at the Vimeo website.

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Have you been there and done that?

Summary...

The answers are in the details....needed

a. properties of source media

b. project preset

c. details of your project's Timeline content

c. export settings used

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)
            laurarrrgh Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I took a screenshot of my export settings and will attach it here. When I click on "share" and then "computer" there is no "AVCHD" option as you said to use for export. I have tried using QuickTime (as the screenshot shows) as well as "MPEG" and "Windows Media". My QuickTime export settings were as follows: H.264, 29.97fps, 1280x720.

My timeline content is 9 min 50 sec. of video with four audio tracks and three titles, one which overlays a short video clip. I had some trouble rendering the titles while making the video, (the program would crash when I tried to put text over video clips) so I don't know if that's causing an issue again or not. The Project Presets you listed are what I have as well. My source media is QuickTime .MOV files with a frame width of 1920 and height of 1088. They are HD files filmed on a Canon Rebel T2i DSLR.

Did I answer all of your questions?

Thanks!

Laura

Export Settings.jpg

• 3. Re: Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Laura

Sorry about that. I was thinking Premiere Elements 10, when you clearly posted that you were working with 9.0.

It would appear we are OK with the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

for your AVCHD or H.264.mov import.

In the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Share/Compute/QuickTime

Presets = NTSC DV 16:9

and as for the customization under the Advanced Button/Video Tab

I would go with the Frame Width 1920, Frame Height 1080

and I would increase the bitrate according to Vimeo guidelines

Compression Guidelines on Vimeo

Even if you were to stay at 1280 x 720, I think that your bitrate setting of 5000 kbps is too low. If you stay with 1280 x 720, I would

look at 10,000 kbps for the "limit bitrate to" value. If you go with 1920 x 1080, I would look at 10,000 to 20,000 kbps, probably closer to 20,000 kbps.

First determine if these bitrate increases have any impact on what you seek. Then we will focus on file size. Are you restricted to a given file size?

Higher the bitrate, higher the quality, larger the file size. You need to find a good compromise between bitrate, file size, and quality.

As a baseline, what is the bitrate of the video that you import into the project? I saw one Canon T2i video sample that was using something like 42 Mbps (megabits per second) in contrast to 5000 kbps (kilobits per second) which would be 5 Mbps.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)
                laurarrrgh Level 1

Thanks for your help. I was able to export the video in high quality (without the program crashing) by unchecking the "limit bitrate to" box. The resulting file was too large to upload online, so I uploaded it to Windows Movie Maker instead. Using that program, I successfully compressed the file into a usable size.

Unfortunately, because this process was so tedious, I think I may opt for just using Windows Movie Maker to edit future videos. Adobe Premiere Elements 9 is a great program, but it crashed way too many times for it to be worth using.

Again, thank you for all of your help!

Laura

• 5. Re: Problems exporting HD video from Premiere Elements 9 for Vimeo (program crashes or video is blurry)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Laura

Thanks for the great news that your project was completed successfully with WIndows Movie Maker. Great job.

Did you opt to leave the limit bitrate to box checked but enter a bitrate greater than the 5000 kbps as we discussed in

a prior post in your thread? If you left the box unchecked, the resulting huge file would be expected.

Windows Movie Maker is a good program. The Movie Maker 2012 now is offering .wmv and .mp4 exports whereas

earlier version offered just the wmv exports. And, if Movie Maker 2012 is run on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit, the program

offers a video stabilizer.

But, if you ever want to revisit Premiere Elements, we will be glad to be of assistance.

Best wishes with your video projects whichever video editor you select.

ATR