1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 2:09 PM by datalogics-alexk

Please advise me how I can allow others to read my ebooks, similar to lending a hard copy?

paulatadobe

As a church Pastor I frequently lend books to members of my congregation.

I have Adobe Digital Editions on my computer.

I have purchased a set of ebooks, and my aim is to allow certain church members access to read portions from this series, for periods of time.

My IT support company says I cannot do this. However I have purchased the ebook, and cannot see why I cannot ‘lend’ it, which is different to selling it. I understand that Libraries can do this.

I tried to find advice on the Adobe website, but couldn't seem to locate the simple answer.

Would you please be able to advise me how I can ‘lend’ an ebook?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Please advise me how I can allow others to read my ebooks, similar to lending a hard copy?
          datalogics-alexk

Adobe's Digital Rights Management system allows eBook distributors (e.g. libraries, booksellers) to lend out eBooks, but there is currently no way for an end-user to loan an eBook to another user.

One thing you could consider is lending out an eReading device authorized with your Adobe ID. Digital Editions allows you to authorize up to 6 devices with the same Adobe ID. Any devices authorized with your ID will have access to your eBooks. If your budget allows, you could buy a tablet, authorize it with your ID, and load it with the book(s) you want to lend to your congregation.

Here is a list of mobile apps that are compatible with Digital Editions. (Full disclosure: I'm a developer for one of the apps listed: DL Reader).