9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 6:26 AM by emmaTPR12

View files at true screen size?

emmaTPR12 Level 1

Hello...

I have been creating a simple web banner in Indesign. Indesign's 100% view is shown on the left. But then when I double checked the exported jpg in Photoshop, it appeared significantly smaller at 100%. I'm guessing this is the true representation of the image because when opening it in a web browser, it was the same size as the Photoshop view.

I'd prefer to create the original file in Indesign if possible because there's greater control; is there a setting or preference I'm missing somewhere to get my working file to appear at the true screen size, so I can see it accurately as I work?

Untitled-1.jpg

• 1. Re: View files at true screen size?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IDCS6 and later uses a different zoom scale. See these threads:

Re: 1:1 View

Re: InDesign CS6 resolution for pixel documents not the same

• 2. Re: View files at true screen size?
            Doc Maik Level 4

Adobe's tools have lacked a possibility to adjust the scale of the ruler to the monitor's pixel size since ever. This is the result. Photoshop is closer to what the browser would display with a pixel density of 72dpi, whereas 96dpi are more common these days or even higher with retina or 4k displays. Every monitor has a different pixel size, so it actually doesn't matter if ID displays the 300x250px image a little bigger.

• 3. Re: View files at true screen size?
              emmaTPR12 Level 1

Ah, but it does matter, because I may underestimate the type size needed for legibility if it's actually going to be smaller for everyone viewing it - I need it to be accurate (or the average viewed by the majority).

• 4. Re: View files at true screen size?
                emmaTPR12 Level 1

I had a read through those threads, thank you Rob. Forgive me, but they're a bit technical for me. I don't quite understand the suggested script fix, can you explain it as if I'm 5 please?

• 5. Re: View files at true screen size?

ID CS6 and later changes the zoom scale so 100% now displays as actual print size. ID gets your screen resolution from the system to accurately display the print size. Double-clicking the Zoom tool in CS6 and CC gives you the 1:1 ratio. Unfortunately in CC2014 the zoom double-click no longer works.

There is a hidden preference which is only accessible via scripting so this AppleScript will set the zoom percentage to a 1:1 ratio (Photshop's 100%). Paste this text into Applescript Editor, Compile and save into your ID script's folder. You can assign the script a key command:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set x to main monitor ppi of general preferences

set zoom percentage of active window to (72 / x) * 100

end tell

You can also change the behavior to pre CS6 where 100% equals 1:1. This compiled script will toggle the behavior, but I prefer the above:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/DisplayScale.zip

• 6. Re: View files at true screen size?
                    emmaTPR12 Level 1

Sorry, you're still very techy there.. you're saying if I double click the zoom tool in CS6 (which switches the magnification to 66.6%), I'm getting a more accurate view? Is there any way of seeing the file at the size the majority of web users would see it at (or is this it?)?

How much does DPI vary on displays these days? Is that what is making it appear differently in each program? Again, apologies if my questions are frustrating, I'm just trying to understand.

• 7. Re: View files at true screen size?

My 27" iMac's monitor res is 108ppi, so the Actual Pixels script sets to zoom to 66% to get the 1:1 pixel ratio:

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 9.16.41 AM.png

• 8. Re: View files at true screen size?

you're saying if I double click the zoom tool in CS6 (which switches the magnification to 66.6%), I'm getting a more accurate view?

Yes, in CS6 double-clicking the zoom gives you Photoshop's 100% view, or the view you would get if the image is placed in a browser with no scaling.

Unfortunately in CC2014 the zoom double click doesn't work and you'll need a script.

I have 3 macs and and they all have different monitor resolutions. InDesign is primarily a print application, so for print designers having 100% equal print size makes sense.

• 9. Re: View files at true screen size?
                          emmaTPR12 Level 1

well thank you for taking the time to explain things to me, I appreciate it.