6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2007 11:43 AM by Leialoha

Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler

Leialoha
      Aloha Sam // Kuler Admins,

I would have written this in one of the previous posts, but I am experiencing more than 1 problem. I'll use the questionnaire in the hopes that it will help better diagnose the problems.

Thanks for your time.
      - Leialoha

1. Problem description (mention all that apply)

1A: note - [IE = Internet Explorer] [FF = Firefox]

- [FF] Colors change when I try to customize a color (other than the base color) in the set.
      Note: I cannot reproduce the problem in IE.

- [FF] Cannot freely customize colors by clicking and dragging color points.

- [FF] When browsing the sets in 3 columns and I click on a theme, the 3 columns condense and overlap each other on 1 column. (words jumbled on top of words)

- [FF] Unable to download themes. When I click on the download button, a completely different set show up at the top and it cannot be downloaded.
      Note: If I go into [IE] and search for the theme, I can download it.

- [IE] When trying to SAVE a (Shades) set, it takes me to a page where it says - "You have not created any themes."
      Note: The themes DO show up when I switched back to Firefox. It is listed as a PUBLISHED theme on “mykuler”, but doesn’t show up when I looked on the “Newest” list. Because it is listed as published, it won’t let me (really) publish my theme.

- [FF & IE] Cannot publish theme. Once I click on “Publish”, it gets stuck trying to upload. (The blue status bar keeps spinning.)

- [FF & IE] Sometimes needs multiple clicks (not double clicks) “connect” to another page or command (like download a theme).

- [FF & IE] A lot of “My New Theme” listed with no colors showing.
      --------

2. What OS (and OS version) are you using?

2A: Windows XP Home Edition.
      --------

3. What browser (and browser version) are you using?

3A: Firefox version 1.5.0.10 AND Internet Explorer version 7.0.5730.11
      --------

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed:
      http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

4A: Adobe Flash version 9,0,28,0
      --------

5. kuler requires version 9, 0, 28. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading to 9, 0, 28?

5A: Whatever the current Macromedia (pre-Adobe) version was before the new Adobe player came out.
      --------

6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)?

6A: I used the "Get Flash Player" button at the Adobe website.
      --------

7. Have you installed the public Alpha/Beta of the Flash authoring tool?

7A: Not that I am aware of. / Unsure.
      --------

8. Have you ever installed an Alpha/Beta version of the Flash 9 player?

8A: Not that I am aware of. / Unsure.
      --------

9. Did you close all browsers before uninstalling the Flash player? Did you close all browsers before installing 9, 0, 28?

9A: If it was mentioned during installation, yes. (I usually do anyway.)
      --------

10. Is there any other info that you think might be relevant (e.g., consistent steps to repro, etc.)?

10A: It is listed with the problem if I was able to reproduce the problem using a different browser or not.
      --------

11. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N)

11A: Yes, I'd be happy to help in any way possible.
      --------

Side note: I have a suggestion/question – It would be really great if there was a way that I could go back to the exact page I left off while browsing, (like being able to type in the last remembered page in the address link up top). It’s a bit of a pain to browse several hundred pages in, and then have to start all over again the next time I visit.
        • 1. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
          Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
          Aloha to you,

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write in. Have these issues occurred recently or over a longer period of time?

My responses below:

- [FF] Colors change when I try to customize a color (other than the base color) in the set.
          * this might be fixed in the new release *

* you mean the color wheel is stuck? *

- [FF] When browsing the sets in 3 columns and I click on a theme, the 3 columns condense and overlap each other on 1 column. (words jumbled on top of words)
          * this is a new one to us *

- [FF] Unable to download themes. When I click on the download button, a completely different set show up at the top and it cannot be downloaded.
          * this is also a new one *

- [IE] When trying to SAVE a (Shades) set, it takes me to a page where it says - "You have not created any themes."
          Note: The themes DO show up when I switched back to Firefox. It is listed as a PUBLISHED theme on “mykuler”, but doesn’t show up when I looked on the “Newest” list. Because it is listed as published, it won’t let me (really) publish my theme.
          * have seen something like this but not any time recently *

- [FF & IE] Cannot publish theme. Once I click on “Publish”, it gets stuck trying to upload. (The blue status bar keeps spinning.)
          * have you ever been able to publish? was this in multiple sessions on different days? we've had issues related to traffic and authentication (needed to publish). *

- [FF & IE] Sometimes needs multiple clicks (not double clicks) “connect” to another page or command (like download a theme).

* what color space were you saving these themes in? LAB? HSV? *

Good suggestion about deep linking and remembering the last 'page' you viewed when browsing.

We're heads down now working on the new release, but I can log bugs on the new issues you are having so we can look into them and I can get back to you. Again, thanks for letting us know.

Sami
          • 2. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
            Hi, while logging the bugs, I could use more clarification on this one:

Did you experience "You have not created any themes" the first time you saved a theme (i.e., when your Mykuler page didn't have anything in it yet) or is the issue that in Firefox you can't view your already created themes in Mykuler?

We don't indicate published vs saved (private) on Mykuler, what do you mean it was listed as Published? The copy says "Date Published" but that doesn't mean it was actually "published," it means more "Date Saved/Published" (I'll suggest to the team we clarify that).

Sami

Sami
            • 3. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
              Leialoha Level 1
              Aloha Sami,

Not a problem at all. I'm a huge Adobe fan (well, just a bit shy of naming my first born 'Adobe' that is... but I digress... haha).

Anywhoo, anything to help!

I would say that the problems started recently, I haven't really come across them before, but I must add in that I just started to get into really using kuler, (the times before I played around with it to get the feel of how it worked).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, here we go -

quote:

* you mean the color wheel is stuck? *

Lei 03/19: Yes. I cannot click and move the spokes around the color wheel while I am in “Custom”. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch because I was not able to replicate this problem today.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

* this is a new one to us *

Lei 03/19: Today I experienced the problem again, but in [IE]. It happened right after I had the problem with the theme changing when I tried to DL. (see “Update 03/19” below) When I tried to DL the theme “BonBons”, it turned into “Pistachio Remixed”. I then clicked the back arrow to go back one or two sets and then try again, but the title words jumbled itself.

Here is a screenshot - http://www.alohaphotoshop.com/images/jumbled.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

* this is also a new one *

Lei 03/19: I was able to replicate this one today. Specific example - When I chose the theme “cozy couch” from the 3 column list, it did display the colors correctly up top, but when I tried to download, the theme up top changed to “Orello”. If I go into [IE] and search for “cozy couch”, I am able to DL it then.

Update 03/19: I was able to replicate this problem on [IE] now as well. Specific example - When I chose the theme “BonBons” from the 3 column list, it did display the colors correctly up top, but when I tried to download, the theme up top changed to “Pistachio Remixed”.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

* have you ever been able to publish? was this in multiple sessions on different days? we've had issues related to traffic and authentication (needed to publish). *

Lei 03/19: I have not yet been able to publish a theme publicly (new or edited from a saved theme). I tried both browsers on the same day at different times and still have not been able to. The blue status bar just keeps twirling.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

* what color space were you saving these themes in? LAB? HSV? *

Lei 03/19: Oh no, I meant in the published list. For example, one of the themes called "Garcia sola landscaping copy" is all black squares. I just noticed a lot of themes with no name (just called "My New Theme") in the main published list without any color/all black squares.

Which reminds me… another suggestion – I think it should be mandatory that you re-name and describe your theme before you can publicly publish it. (Perhaps making a red “*” or “!” show up when there is no name/description typed in before publishing.) There are tons of themes being published (on accident or purposely) called “My New Theme” with no descriptions. Just kinda makes no sense to have a published theme that can’t be specifically searched for, no?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

*Did you experience "You have not created any themes" the first time you saved a theme (i.e., when your Mykuler page didn't have anything in it yet) or is the issue that in Firefox you can't view your already created themes in Mykuler?*

Lei 03/19: I experienced it the first time I created and saved a theme. It didn’t tell me it was saved, it just went to the page that said I had not created any themes.

I made a new test theme in [IE] using “Complimentary” and saved it. When it saved, it took me to “mykuler” but the theme did not show up, but my previously saved theme was there. I tried clicking on “Newest” and then back to “mykuler” to see if it would show up then, but it didn’t work. When I checked in [FF], it was there. So finally I went back into [IE] and signed out, then signed back in. When I signed back in, the newly saved theme was there.

On a side note, I think it would be good to make a landing page to say “Your theme has been saved/published.” or something to that effect.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote:

We don't indicate published vs. saved (private) on Mykuler, what do you mean it was listed as Published? The copy says "Date Published" but that doesn't mean it was actually "published," it means more "Date Saved/Published" (I'll suggest to the team we clarify that).

Lei 03/19: It said it was published, and then the date and time. I’ll guess then, that it meant it was saved. (PS - I think it would be great to have “Date Saved” and “Date Published” separately clarified.) From there I was not able to publicly publish it though.

Question – Is it possible to take a previously saved theme and publicly publish it from there or do I have to edit or make a new one to have it published?
              • 4. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
                Leialoha Level 1
                03/19 Update 2 - I was finally able to publically publish a theme, but it didn't show up until I was signed out. [IE] & [FF]

When I signed back on in [IE] and checked the "Newest" list, it had disappeared, then reappeared when I signed out again.
                • 5. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
                  Hi,
                  I appreciate your thorough steps to repro. Many of these are new issues for us and there are quite a few of them in different areas (editing, publishing). I'll get in touch with you to figure out a way to work through these.
                  Sami
                  • 6. Re: Experiencing Multi-Problems w/ Kuler
                    Leialoha Level 1
                    Aloha Sami,

No problem at all.

I'll keep you updated on this post if anything new or different arises.

Have a great week!

- Leialoha