23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 3:42 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements transcoding error

sal1150

After dozens of hours editing I get a transcoding error when trying to burn a project to disk in Premiere Elements 12. Can anyone suggest a solution or workaround?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•You MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements

•(Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors)

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.9.4"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•How many and what speed are your hard drive(s)... ie 5400rpm or 7200rpm or?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
            A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

What produced this error

a. burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen

b. burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc

c. burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

d. other

What is the size of this project...just before you hit burn, does the burn dialog give you a reading for Space Required and Bitrate? What type/capacity disc are you using?

If menus, how many menu markers and how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages.

1. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline, press the End key of the computer keyboard. Does the Timeline Indicator stop

at the last item on the Timeline or does it go beyond that point? If beyond, check out the place where the Timeline Indicator stopped. Look for debris there and remove it if found.

2. Check the spacing of the Timeline menu markers. Check the menus for overlapping buttons.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
              sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR, please see responses below in red

Your help is much appreciated, thanks.

Andre Foulon

P.O. Box 445

Manjimup WA 6258

T.: 08 9772 1327

Mob.: 0448650687

Disclaimer: This message may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). You must not disclose this communication to anyone without my prior consent. If you have received this email in error, please notify me by return mail, delete it from your system and destroy all copies. I have exercised care to avoid errors in the information contained in this email but I do not warrant that it is error or omission free. I also use best-practise virus, malware and other malicious code protection routines but cannot warrant that my communications are free from malicious code. Please maintain your virus/hacker/spyware defence up to date.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                sal1150 Level 1

Hi ATR.

I still am getting the same error message.

Kind regards,

Andre Foulon

P.O. Box 445

Manjimup WA 6258

T.: 08 9772 1327

Mob.: 0448650687

Disclaimer: This message may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). You must not disclose this communication to anyone without my prior consent. If you have received this email in error, please notify me by return mail, delete it from your system and destroy all copies. I have exercised care to avoid errors in the information contained in this email but I do not warrant that it is error or omission free. I also use best-practise virus, malware and other malicious code protection routines but cannot warrant that my communications are free from malicious code. Please maintain your virus/hacker/spyware defence up to date.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andre Foulon

Please be advised that your threads and replies to them are seen by everyone visiting in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum whether you reply from an email notification or otherwise. Consequently, to avoid nuisances, please do not include any contact information in your posts. When seen by a moderator, the moderator typically removes that information.

Also, your replies in red did not get posted. It may be because you are replying from a cell phone. Best to use the computer browser to reach the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, Sign In, and then go to your thread for replying.

Please try again. From your last post you are still with the error. I am hoping that there will be something in your additional details that will

help us to target the cause of the error.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                    sal1150 Level 1

Sorry I didn't realise email responses would not show up in the forum correctly. Here is my response to ATR posted using the forum:

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

>Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. This is running on a 2nd generation i7 with 8GB of RAM and more that 1 TB space left on the c:/ drive. I have used this laptop for similar projects before using Premiere Elements 11 and have not had a transcoding problem before. These were similar length (1.5 hr productions of a repertory club in an Australian hick town), shot in HD on the same camera a Canon LEGRIA HF G30.

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

>I updated and tried to publish to DVD again - same result.

What produced this error

>a. burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen

What is the size of this project...just before you hit burn, does the burn dialog give you a reading for Space Required and Bitrate? What type/capacity disc are you using?

>6.96GB (Bitrate 8.00Mbps) to single layer DVD 4.7G, Fit to Disk size selected, resulting in 4.38GB at 4.99Mbps.

If menus, how many menu markers and how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages.

> One main menu, 2 scene menu pages with 6 scenes.

1. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline, press the End key of the computer keyboard. Does the Timeline Indicator stop at the last item on the Timeline or does it go beyond that point?

>Yes, at end of last item on Timeline.

If beyond, check out the place where the Timeline Indicator stopped. Look for debris there and remove it if found.

> N/A

2. Check the spacing of the Timeline menu markers. Check the menus for overlapping buttons.

>Some Scene Markers were slightly out of place at maximum Timeline expansion. How do I get back into the Title and Scene screens to check for button overlaps (don’t believe there are any though)?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

Thanks for the replies.

If you need to get back into the menus to check the main menu page and scene selection page, just go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu and

your specific theme with your customizations should appear. Click Done in Movie Menu workspace when you want to exist that area.

Also, let us try a quick mini test.

Put the present problematic problem aside, saved closed.

Open a new project and place a short series of jpeg photos on the Timeline.

Try to burn them to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO. Do you get any transcoding error?

If that works, open the problematic project. Make 2 copies of it using File Menu/Save A Copy.

Use the copies for the following.

Copy 1. Delete first half of Timeline content. Everything else as is. Burn to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO.

Copy 2. Delete second half of Timeline content. Everything else as is. Burn to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO.

What are the results from the two burn to disc?

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                        sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR.

I ran all three tests - and the DVDs work. Then I tried the full project again, using a double layer R+ DVD (the only 25 pack I could find in this outback town) - and got the transcoding error again???

sal1150

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

Did you do the 3 test plus your full project using the same batch of double layer R+ DVD?

Consider...if you have not already tried the following....

Take your Timeline/project to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

burn to Folder (8.5 GB) - to a designated save location on the computer hard drive.

Take just the VIDEO_TS Folder from this saved folder into the ImgBurn software to take

the VIDEO_TS Folder to DVD-VIDEO on your DVD double layer single sided disc.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Does that work to give you the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you need?

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                            sal1150 Level 1

The tests were written to SS R- DVDs. They work fine.

Yes, I tried to write to folder. It ame out as a 5.4GB mpg file, which runs fine on VLC Media Player, however without menu screens.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

When you burn to folder, you do not get a .mpg file. You get a folder which contains two folders, OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. When you take the VIDEO_TS Folder to DVD disc, if you included menus in the project, the resulting DVD-VIDEO on DVD will have menus.

We can discuss free computer players next time.

I just want to make sure that we are in sync on burn to folder using Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to folder Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB).

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR.

I just tried Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to folder Folder (8.5 GB) and it resulted in the Tanscoding Error message.

Cheers,

sal1150

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sal2250

Thanks for the update.

If Transcoding Error message with burn to disc (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc) or burn to folder (DVD files represented by VIDEO_TS Folder), then I believe that flaw is in the project itself - not the burner and not the disc.

In view of the above, let us continue the troubleshooting burn to folder until we get the burn to folder to work to generate the folder with OpenDVD Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder. Save the discs.

Earlier in this thread, I asked about the burn dialog's Quality area and the values shown for Space Required and Bitrate. You wrote

Fit to Disk size selected, resulting in 4.38GB at 4.99Mbps.

That is for the DVD spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 minutes. And, clearly too much for the DVD disc labelled 4.7 GB/120 min. What are the Space Required and Bitrate values when you are in the whole project burn dialog and have selected Burn To: Folder (8.5 GB)?

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                    sal1150 Level 1

ATR

It's 6.96 GB (Bitrate 8Mbps)

Do you suggest I run sequential burn to disk test cutting scene by title by scene etc from the back of project and so work out exactly where the glitch is, i.e. after which deletion I get a burn to the two folders.

Hey, thanks for your patience and ongoing support, u rock!

Cheers,

sal1150

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

Thanks for the follow up.

You should be doing OK with the DVD double layer single sided disc capacity if the burn dialog is displaying Space Required 6.96 GB and Bitrate 8.00 Mbps.

You are at max. bitrate, good; Space Required limit would be 7.95 GB, so you are well within that.

The part that troubles me relates to results when you divided the project in 1/2 and any flaw was not revealed.

Using a copy of the original project, let us follow your thoughts to start dissecting the project - removing first the titles, then the transitions, audio.

When you expand the Timeline content with the -+ slider above the Timeline, if you see any very thin vertical black lines among the track content (before or after the last item on the Timeline), delete them.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for continuing to explore the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                        sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR.

At last we're getting somewhere, albeit still staying short of the goal post. I followed your suggestions and kept the following log:

TEST C: Sequentially remove project assets starting with title screens, sound, titles, the scenes.

Preliminary work:

Check entire timeline at highest magnification, delete any gaps, stray titles, black vertical lines.

Save as One Acters Copy C.prel

Back up all .prel files and original clips to eternal disk.

Open One Acters Copy C.prel – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove main title menu sound only  – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove scene title menu sound only– save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove main and scene title menus entirely – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove DVD title screen sound only – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove Scene 1 menu screen sound only – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Remove Scene 1 title and second title screen s entirely – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – successful burn to folder

Reload original project file, save as XXX.Copy D.

Experience Unknown Error on opening.

Restart PC.

Open Copy D again – successful.

TEST D:

Leave title menus alone, sequentially delete project title screens,

Remove Scene 1 title only –attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB –– attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Reopen complete Copy D. Experience Unknown Error on opening.

Restart PC.

Leave title menus alone, sequentially delete project title screens,

Remove Scene 1 title only –attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB –– attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – failed: Transcoding error.

Save project ac Copy D (just in case saving it makes a difference) attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB again – failed: Transcoding error.

Copy and rename original project as Copy E.

Remove Scene 1 Credits title only–– attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – successful burn to folder GOTCHA!

Save project as Copy F, reinsert credit title from Project Assets –– attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB. Aborted once well past usual point where transcoding error occurred. Insert double layer DVDR+  set number of disks to required 22  – attempt burn to disk. Failed at 4% past data encoding “Device error Code (37303) – “Power Calibration Are Error – Sequential Write”. Disc not affected, so try again, same settings Stops after 4% again, message: “operation system error: number  = 0x00000020 – The process cannot access the file because it is being” (sic!)

Attempt burn again, with fresh double layer disk – same error message as above.

Back over to you ATR.

And thanks for your ongoing support.

sal1150

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

Sorry for such a delayed reply. I got detoured many times.

If you have not already, let us explore

Remove Scene 1 title and second title screen s entirely – save – attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – successful burn to folder

and

Remove Scene 1 Credits title only–– attempt Burn to DVD Folder 8.5 GB – successful burn to folder GOTCHA!

Just want to make sure....Does your "Scene 1 Credits title only" in the second sentence equal either "Scene 1 title" or "second title screen" in the first sentence?

If so, you appear to have identified the problem file as that Scene 1 credits. Great job sorting through the workflow.

About Copies 22...if Burn To: Folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB)

.I have gotten only 1 copy for the Burn To: Folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB) no matter what the Copies field says in the burn dialog. That Copies field appear to be functional only when you are using Burn to Disc. If you are thinking copies, then consider dealing with that in ImgBurn after you import the VIDEO_TS Folder from the Premiere Elements saved folder into ImgBurn. I have not explored the practical number of copies one can get from this ImgBurn process without hitting error.

About Copies 22..if Burn To: Disc

I have not explored the practical number of copies one can get from Premiere Elements Burn To: Disc burn dialog Copies. Often I am lucky if I get 2 to 5.

Exact Copy feature of the burn software that came with your burner is a good choice for producing multiple copies of the original disc.

Please review and consider, and then me know if I have interpreted your information correctly.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                            sal1150 Level 1

Hi ATR.

Yes, your interpretation was correct: the fault was with the Credits title.

I have since downloaded ImgBurn (IB) and attempted to burn a disk from the VIDEO TS folder created in the Burn to Folder process. Nice, personable program btw. Unfortunately I must have made a mistake. IB told me to use the Build option, then advised the file was too big for the ISO9600 + UDF file system and recommended I switch to UDF only and select Allow Files to Exceed Size Limit under the Advanced tab. Strangely this option was only available for ISO9660!

I ticked it anyway, attempted the Build and received an "End of the World" fatal error message??

Here is the entire IB log:

I 12:34:46 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!

I 12:34:46 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)

I 12:34:46 Total Physical Memory: 8,298,260 KiB  -  Available: 5,750,736 KiB

I 12:34:46 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:34:46 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:34:48 -> Drive 1 - Info: Slimtype BD  E  DS4E1S EA2B (D:) (SATA)

I 12:34:48 Found 1 BD-ROM/DVD±RW!

I 12:37:21 Operation Started!

I 12:37:21 Building Image Tree...

I 12:37:56 Checking Directory Depth...

I 12:37:56 Calculating Totals...

I 12:37:56 Preparing Image...

E 12:37:56 File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system.

E 12:37:56 Name: C:\Users\Andre\Desktop\One Acters Burn to Folder\20141122_163058\20141122_163058.ISO

E 12:37:56 Size: 6,529,548,288 bytes

E 12:38:32 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:01:10

I 12:39:10 Operation Started!

I 12:39:10 Building Image Tree...

E 12:39:24 User did not specify a volume label.

E 12:39:24 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:00:13

I 12:40:24 Operation Started!

I 12:40:24 Building Image Tree...

W 12:40:39 User accepted incorrect file system selection for DVD Video disc warning!

I 12:40:58 Calculating Totals...

I 12:40:58 Preparing Image...

E 12:41:08 Image may be too big to fit on the target DVD media.

E 12:41:08 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:44

I 12:41:52 Operation Started!

I 12:41:52 Building Image Tree...

I 12:42:04 Corrected file system selection for DVD Video disc.

I 12:42:15 Checking Directory Depth...

I 12:42:15 Calculating Totals...

I 12:42:15 Preparing Image...

W 12:42:15 File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system.

W 12:42:15 Name: C:\Users\Andre\Desktop\One Acters Burn to Folder\20141122_163058\20141122_163058.ISO

W 12:42:15 Size: 6,529,548,288 bytes

W 12:42:15 Method: Single Extent

W 12:42:20 User accepted that image may be too big to fit on the target DVD media!

E 12:42:33 Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

E 12:42:33 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:40

The target disk was a 8.5GB double layer DVDROM R+

I'm beginning to wonder whether my house stands on an ancient indigenous burial ground...

Thanks for your ongoing patience and support.

sal1150

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

Do not give up.

Please confirm what type of disc - DVD double layer single sides (8.5 GB/240 minutes)?

According to Premiere Elements that generated the VIDEO_TS, what was the Space Required and Bitrate for the burn to folder?

It is pushing 1 am where I am so I need to call it a day. I will check your thread in the early morning for your confirmation of the details

mentioned and then come up with a plan of attack on this.

From the bytes data above, it looks like you have 6.5 GB. The real limit of your disc is 7.95 GB, so you should be OK at that 6.5 GB level. From the way the log progresses, sounds like a layer break issue, not sure at this time of the day, whether this is an ImgBurn/double layer disc issue or a generalized double layer issue or something else.

To be continued....

ATR

Add On...Do not give up.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                                sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR.

I'm not about to give up; can't afford to 'coz I got an entire repertory club snapping at my heels wanting the DVDs - of an award winning production, no less :-)

Okay, the disk I used is indeed 240min/8.5GB, double layer.

I looked it up and burn to folder rate in Premiere was 8.00 Mbps.

I have another project (for a community ballet school) next week and will shoot the footage at a lower resolution, to make sure I won't get into double layer territory again.

Thanks again.

sal1150

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                                  sal1150 Level 1

Hey ATR.

Finally - I have a solution of sorts: I used an age-old version of Nero (V7) and imported the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder into the DVD compiler and burned from there onto a DVD R+ DL and it works. All I lost was the functionality of the scene menus, playing the whole shebang works on a normal DVD player, beginning to end, with all the scene titles and subtitles and so does forward scene by scene.

Still not the solution I was hoping for but seeing it's an unpaid job nobody will complain.

Happy to send you a copy for your trouble, just e-mail your postal address to sal1150@icloud.com

Some of the skits ain't half bad and portray aspects of the Australian way of life.

Cheers, mate.

sal1150

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

No sure what happened the functionality of the scene menus, but otherwise sounds like major progress and results. Great job.

If you want to go into details of functionality of the scene menus, then please let me know. But, if you want to go by "do not mess with a

good thing", we will leave it as is.

Right now I am having major problems with my telephone line and Internet connection and computer. So, for now I will take a rain check on viewing your video.

Best not to post contact information in the opened forum so that you do not get bothered by nuisances. A moderator often removes that type of contact message from a reply when seen.

We are very pleased with your news.

Best wishes

ATR

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements transcoding error
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sal1150

I am finally starting to get some lost email notifications and am gradually catching up with replies.

So, just saw your post numbered 20. Sounds like a busy, busy schedule.

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR