6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 8:54 AM by Karen B Hutchison

Gray ghost boxes when exported to PDF in Preview

Karen B Hutchison

I have searched the forum for an answer to this, but haven't found one.  I am an amateur using InDesign to produce several company newsletters.  These newsletters are NOT printed; a link is sent to our employees where they can view the newsletter in Preview, which is Apple's PDF Viewer.  I like to make the photos look vintage by squaring them off, applying a thick white stroke and a subtle drop shadow.  I usually rotate them a bit, too.  I just finished a newsletter and exported it to a PDF, as I usually do.  However, in Preview, you can see a gray ghost box of the original picture frame, unrotated.  I understand this sometimes happens with transparency effects, which I guess includes my drop shadow.  I am at a complete loss.  I found a work-around but it is tedious and messes with the image quality of the PDF a bit. 

Do you guys know what I can do about this?  Unlike most of the issues I've seen that mention this, I am not sending this to a printer, nor is the document being printed. 

I am using InDesign CS 5.1 on a Mac running Mavericks.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.37.25 AM.png