5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 2:10 PM by Dan-BTP

Compatibility with Windows versions

Dan-BTP Level 1

I have a server that is running Windows Web Server 2008 R2. Are there any compatibility issues that I should be aware of with InDesign CS6?

I've installed ID CS6 successfully and it seems to be running okay by itself. What I am trying to do is run a VB.NET program that calls InDesign to execute a JSX script. When I try to run the VB.NET program as a scheduled task with Task Scheduler, InDesign doesn't always end or quit properly and so leaves itself and my VB.NET program in a nebulous state that messes up the next time the scheduled task tries to run.

I have the exact same combination of software running on my local system that is running Windows 7, and everything works fine, including executing my VB.NET program through the Task Scheduler.

• 1. Re: Compatibility with Windows versions
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m not even sure that’s a legal use for the application.

• 2. Re: Compatibility with Windows versions
            Dan-BTP Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Bob!

I'm not running InDesign (or my VB.NET program) from our site. It's a task that is separate from the site and scheduled through Task Scheduler to run on the same system. Do you still think that it's not a legal use of InDesign?

I thought someone in our company checked with Adobe before we purchased the InDesign license and was told it was okay, but I could be mistaken.

• 3. Re: Compatibility with Windows versions
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Well, IANAL, but it sounds like a violation. I don’t think you can use it that way.

I’ll see what I can find out.

• 4. Re: Compatibility with Windows versions
                Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

@Dan-BTP:

I don't know who someone-in-your-company spoke with at Adobe, but either the someone-in-your-company didn't ask the right question, the someone-in-your-company didn't understand what the someone-at-Adobe told them, the some-one-at-Adobe didn't understand what someone-in-your-company was really asking, or regrettably, the someone-at-Adobe simply gave someone-in-your-company simply wrong information. However, the officially published (on Adobe's website) system requirement for InDesign 8 (CS6) in terms of Windows operating system support is:

• Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 and CS6 applications also support Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.

Although the software may physically install under Windows Server 2008 R2, the fact is that Adobe never designed the InDesign desktop software to work under any version of Windows Server, never tested it in that environment either for installation or operation, and absolutely does not support using it in that environment in any way.

In terms of automating invocation and the running of the desktop version of InDesign in a manner you describe either on a Windows 7 system configured as a server or on an official Windows Server configuration, the “legality” of same depends on a number of issues. Per the CS6 EULA (End User License Agreement):

2.1.7 Server Use.

2.1.7.1 As permitted in a separate purchasing document or Documentation and subject to license restrictions stated in this Agreement, Customer may install the Software on a Server only for the purpose of allowing an individual from a Computer within the same Internal Network (“Network User”) to access and use the Software. The Network User who has access to such Software on the Server is referred to as “Server Software User”. The total number of Server Software Users (not the concurrent number of users) may not exceed the Permitted Number. By way of example, if Customer has purchased 10 licenses of Software (Permitted Number is 10) and Customer elects to install the Software on a Server, then Customer can only allow up to 10 Server Software Users the access to the Software (even though Customer may have more than 10 Network Users or fewer than 10 concurrent users of the Software).

2.1.7.2 For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software: (a) from or to a Computer not part of Customer’s Internal Network; (b) for enabling web hosted workgroups or web hosted services available to the public; (c) by any individual or entity to use, download, copy, or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so by Adobe; (d) as a component of a system, workflow or service accessible by more than the Permitted Number of users; or (e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

Adobe does a product specifically for server use including scripted use, providing web services, etc. That is InDesign Server. It is specifically for use on Windows Server systems. You may wish to check out whether that software meets your needs. (I'm not sure whether the CS6 version of InDesign Server is still available for licensing.)

Given that I don't know exactly what you are attempting to do with InDesign on a “server,” I won't make any judgments as to whether you use is or is not in conformance with the EULA for the InDesign desktop version. Quite frankly, if all you are trying to do is serve a single person, such as yourself, with scripted actions with InDesign, why not run it on your desktop Windows 7 system?

However, regrettably cannot provide any support for installation or operation of that software on officially unsupported platforms.

- Dov

• 5. Re: Compatibility with Windows versions
                  Dan-BTP Level 1

Thank you both for your replies. I will look into your suggestions, Dov, to determine what solution will work for our needs. In any case, we definitely want to do what's both legal from a licensing standpoint and technically correct from the standpoint of what Windows versions an InDesign version was designed and tested for.