7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 1:10 PM by abeonaguinness

Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?

abeonaguinness

I need to get a new laptop and am considering buying a HP Stream 14. It has only got 32GB of storage on it offline so relies on cloud storage mainly. I will have an external hardrive too though.

Will I be able to run Lightroom on this? I don't mind if all my files are up in the sky but I don't want to get this if I won't be able to continue to use Lightroom to process photos.

• 1. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
          Devendra Kumar Adobe Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, lightroom will not work if you install it on external drive.

Lightroom file should be on local drive.

Regards,

Devendra

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
            Devendra Kumar Adobe Employee

Moved this discussion to Lightroom forum.

• 3. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
              abeonaguinness Level 1

Thank you! So if I get that HP Stream with only 32GB of storage there's no way to run Lightroom on it?

• 4. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
                dj_paige Level 9

abeonaguinness wrote:

I need to get a new laptop and am considering buying a HP Stream 14. It has only got 32GB of storage on it offline so relies on cloud storage mainly. I will have an external hardrive too though.

Will I be able to run Lightroom on this? I don't mind if all my files are up in the sky but I don't want to get this if I won't be able to continue to use Lightroom to process photos.

the question is somewhat vague.

I believe you have to install (parts of) the Lightroom program on the system drive — but certainly the photos and Lightroom catalog can be on the external drive. Which do you mean?

I'm pretty sure the main executable file does not have to be on the system drive, I have seen people say they have installed it on an internal SSD that is not the same drive as the operating system, but I admit I have never tried installing it on an external drive and can't recall anyone saying that they have done so.

32GB of storage -- I guess it depends on what you are planning to put in there

• 5. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
                  abeonaguinness Level 1

My apologies, I'll try and explain myself a bit better.

My main question is; is there anyway for me to get and use Lightroom on the HP Stream if it only has 32GB of storage on it (let's say I had nothing else on it so the full 32GB is available for Lightoom if necessary). I can put the photos and catalogue on the external harddrive no problem but it's the programme itself and running it that I am worried about. I'm not sure if an SSD is compatible with the HP Stream (don't honestly know what it is, actually!) so maybe give me an answer if I a) couldn't use an SSD and b) could.

I'd really like this laptop but there isn't much point in me getting it if I can't use Lightroom on it. But in order to do so I don't mind buying some extra storage devices or storing photos or the catalogue wherever necessary.

Here's the specs for the HP Stream in case they are of any use;

• Windows 8.1 64
                  • AMD Quad-Core A4 micro-6400T
                  • 35.6 cm (14") diagonal HD BrightView display
                  • 2GB DDR 3 Memory and 32GB eMMC storage
                  • Ultra thin, fanless design perfect for computing on the go

And here's the link to HP's site on it;

HP Stream 14 Laptop (Neon purple) - HP Store UK

• 6. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The program itself only takes up about 1 GB of disk space. But you'll probably want Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or some other companion program. The folder that contains my catalog of about 12,000 images takes up another 11 GB of disk space. That folder could be placed on your external hard drive. I think it's possible to run Lightroom on that small of a hard drive without any difficulties. I would still install the Lightroom program on the hard drive. But everything else could be on your external drive.

• 7. Re: Can you run Lightroom off an external hardrive?
                      abeonaguinness Level 1

Thank you very much; that answers my question. And thank you to everyone else that has replied too. I will get that laptop then. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to touching up photos so for the moment Lightroom will do,  but thanks for the advice!