7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 6:51 AM by CarinTMCLG

Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?

CarinTMCLG Level 1

I used to do this daily at my old job but of course can not remember it anymore! The goal is to force a line break in my document but not have it show up that way when I use the auto-TOC feature.

Specifically, I am setting up my TOC to pull in all of my headings from my document, but they are coming in with the line breaks. I don't want that. I remember in the past using another keystroke or something within the document so that this wouldn't happen. Shift-return was to be avoided at all costs because we always used a TOC. I'm just drawing a blank. Anyone know? I am using the latest InDesign CC but I don't think it matters. I did this in CS5 and 6.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
          winterm Level 4

Assuming your titles are long enough to not fit in one line in your doc anyway, and you only want to control where the line break occurs, No Break could be your friend.

On the screenshot below text with No Break applied is highlighted. The goal - drop the text right after the word 'HERE’ to next line.

As long as the whole title fits to one line, it does nothing. See Contents frame. Or, could be removed easily.

Have no idea what to do if you still want line break in case C...

NoBreak.png

• 2. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would recommend never (or at least in most cases) not to use shift return. Use other methods to keep strings together like the character attribute (best used as character style) no beak or non breaking spaces.

• 3. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
              CarinTMCLG Level 1

Sorry for the delay - been too busy to get back on the past couple of days. Thanks for your responses but I need some clarification. Winterm, did you highlight all of the text that you are showing in purple, and then apply "no break" to it? I wasn't clear on how you got there, and I can't seem to find "no break" in the menu. I have used nonbreaking space before but it should show a little carrot symbol and I don't see that anywhere on your screen shot. It's not exactly what i'm looking for, but i'm definitely curious where to find "no break".

This is going to bug me and I may bite the bullet and contact someone I used to work with. I know for sure what i'm looking for is a simple keystroke, as we used it almost constantly in our proposals since soft returns could cause problems when making our many edits. Maybe it's one of those secret keystrokes that they don't tell you about!

Thanks to both of you-

• 4. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
                winterm Level 4

I highlighted some areas just to show you where 'no break' was applied. Normally 'no break' is not visible in any view mode.

And yes, there is no nonbreaking space used

Where to find "no break".

Select some text you want to keep in one line and apply No Break from Character flyout menu:

NoBreak01.png

or use flyout menu next to Quick Apply button:

NoBreak02.png

imo, even better is to go to Edit > Keyboard shortcuts > Product Area: Panel Menus > Character: No Break, and assign some handy shortcut to it...

NoBreak03.png

Also No Break is a part of Paragraph or Character Style Options (can be found in Basic Character Formats tab), but that's another story...

• 5. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Create a character style. Apply a key stroke to it.

Working without styles is not a good idea anyway, so it is the best you can do.

• 6. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
                    winterm Level 4

Willi Adelberger wrote:

Working without styles is not a good idea anyway.

Sure. However, to have two or more char styles applied to the same text sometimes is not a good idea too. I work on some projects where I have the reasons to avoid this.

There are situations when a simple manual no break in place is just enough.

So your best bet is to know all possible ways and use them as needed.

• 7. Re: Forced line break that is not Shift-Return?
                      CarinTMCLG Level 1

Thanks to both of you. I would agree that character styles should be used sparingly, for what I work on anyway, and only within paragraphs that need a word bolded or italicized here and there (for example).

Now that you have mentioned the keyboard shortcuts, Winterm, I am wondering if someone went around to everyone's computer in my old office and made the same shortcut for everyone. Given the nature of what we worked on and that we all had to sort of have the same work habits, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks again! I will play around.