27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 9:57 AM by BobLevine

Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

Mancave Level 1

Are those of us with InDesign CS6 going to get an add on with Fixed layout and Reflowable layouts or are we being left out in the cold?

• 1. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No, you are not. CS6 is feature complete.

• 2. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
            Mancave Level 1

But we do not have fixed layout or reflowable layouts as an option

• 3. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
              Mancave Level 1

Is this a "Let's make as much money a possible and forget the customer exercise"

InDesign CS6 came out as the "MUST HAVE PACKAGE" and now it's join the cloud with InDesign CC.

What would it take to give those features, or even charge for them as an add on for us with CS6?

• 4. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

For starters, a change in US law. Adobe cannot just add features to old software (read up on Sarbanes Oxley) and even if they could why should they? They have subscribers who pay for new features. There are a lot of things that were cutting edge when CS6 came out that aren’t anymore.

This is the way it is. You can either subscribe or not, but subscription software is here to stay and CS6 is as good as it’s ever going to get.

• 5. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                  Mancave Level 1

InDesign CC is exactly the same as InDesign CS6. The only difference is the addition of the Fixed Layout and Reflowable layouts, and the ability to add video footage. By having these features as an add on would not compromise American law.

Adobe offer add ons to other applications. They have a page whereby they can be downloaded for free. Why not make a small charge, I'm sure all of us with CS6 would pay for it?

And as some of us with InDesign CS6 are here in the UK, we are not regulated or governed by American law

• 6. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You are wrong, InDesign CC and CC2014 are NOT the same as CS6, a lot of new features have been added, others have been changed. You can read it in the (uncomplete) program description.

• 7. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                      Mancave Level 1

You are missing the point!! Much of InDesign CC is based on CS6. So why not allow the CS6 users to download an add on so that they have the same tools. Adobe does have an add on page and much of it is free. By selling it to CS6 users it will create more revenue and allow others the choice of subscribing or not

• 8. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                        Derek Cross Level 6

Maybe you're missing the point. Adobe, for better or worse, want users to change to the subscription model, so they are extremely unlikely to offer an add-on.

And to be fair, the subscription model does have benefits to users.

• 9. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You are completely wrong. InDesign CC was complete new from the scratch. Otherwise it would not have been possible to add Retina Display Support. CC has not got only some additional features (due to the new programming it was limited in the beginning), it was a new creation from the scratch. Meanwhile several new versions of the CC have been issued and each of these versions has got new and different functionalities. Mainly the focus on colors, footnotes, EPUB export (complete new compared to CS6), tables and a lot of changes on other places.

The InDesign version you know is not the only version. When InDesign is developed it is developed for several languages and language systems, like ME or Asian, Indian, etc and parallel you will see the same development to InCopy and InDesign Server.

• 10. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

Mancave wrote:

By selling it to CS6 users it will create more revenue and allow others the choice of subscribing or not

Incorrect. All you need to do is ask 3rd party developers about the compatibility for plugins from one version to the next. I get that you don't want to subscribe but that' irrelevant. Creative Cloud and subscription software is here to stay. You can continue to be upset about it or you can accept it.

This is a business decision...pure and simple. There is no reason for Adobe to give you any reason not to subscribe. Instead of protesting, why not try the demo. It's free for 30 days. Your CS6 license will entitle you to intro pricing for the first year (I don't know UK pricing) for the entire package or you can subscribe month to month or annually for just InDesign.

• 11. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                              Derek Cross Level 6

In the UK the normal plan for the Creative Cloud package, paid monthly, is £46.88 per month inc VAT.

(For CS owners, the first year is £27.34 per month for one year)

• 12. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                Mancave Level 1

I am using the demo software. And agree it is a fantastic program. But I am annoyed that we CS6 users cannot get an add on for the fixed layout and reflowable layout. And if I am honest I do not want an extra cost each month to pay out. Or an extra costs to pass onto my clients.

But one minute you are saying it's an American legal issue and the next a business decision. I think it's a let's extort as much money out of the end user as possible exercise. I probably will end up subscribing and using the software. But don't condemn me for venting my frustrations at the added costs involved

• 13. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

No…that’s not what I said.

You asked what it would take and I threw out the legalese for you. But the subscription is a business decision.

And I think if you sit and do the math you’ll find this to be cheaper than buying every single upgrade. Remember, with the subscription you get new features as soon as they’re available and if a new version is released that’s included as well.

As for the plugin/addin thing…if it were that profitable, some third party would have done it by now.

• 14. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible to create Fixed Layout EPUBs with CS6 but it's a heck of a lot more work. You can view a set of videos about it that Anne-Marie Concepcion made on Lynda.com:

Watch the Online Video Course Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUB

• 15. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                      Mancave Level 1

Cheers Steve, that's a great help I will give it a try

• 16. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                        Derek Cross Level 6

And whilst you're at Lynda.com you can have a look at "Creating fixed layout ePubs from InDesign CC":

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Creating-Fixed-Layout-EPUBs-InDesign-CC/169624-2.h tml

if you do, I'm sure that it will convince you that it's time for you to trade up to InDesign CC 2014.1

Also note, there's an Adobe forum for discussing ePub issues.

Derek

• 17. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

Mancave wrote:

Cheers Steve, that's a great help I will give it a try

And if that doesn't convince you that moving to CC2014 is worth it, nothing will.

As Derek pointed out we do have a forum for EPUB: InDesign EPUB

• 18. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                            Mancave Level 1

Hi Derek,

I can design an epub in InDesign CC 2014. As I have said it is a fantastic piece of software. My frustration is that I have CS6 and would like an add on with the fixed layout rather than sign a subscription.

I will look at Lynda.com though

• 19. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                              Mancave Level 1

Bob, I do want the software, I just do not want to sign a subscription to it. I only need the Fixed and reflowable layouts and I will be happy. And thank you I will of course join the forum

• 20. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

So it’s a fabulous piece of software and you don’t want to pay for it?

Do you think Adobe just magically came up with this? It costs millions of dollars to develop new versions of these programs.

• 21. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

You can subscribe to InDesign only on a month to month basis. Pay when you need it and don’t when you don’t.

The cost is less than a cup of coffee every day.

• 22. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                                    Mancave Level 1

Not at all. I am willing to pay for it. But just the small section I need would be a great help. er the price of a cup of coffee in the states costs less than here in the UK

• 23. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

Do you understand that CC was written completely from the ground up? They didn’t just plug this capability into CS6 and give it a new version number.

Millions of lines of code were involved here involving 20-something man years of labor.

This was not trivial.

• 24. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                                        Mancave Level 1

All they needed to do was add the Fixed Layout to CS6 and Hey Presto job done

• 25. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

If you’re serious, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

• 26. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6
                                                            Mancave Level 1

I have both InDesign CS6and InDesign CC 2014 on my computer. The foundation of both is the same. Even the tutorials are identical. So how you can say that CC was built from the ground up is preposterous.

Without getting into an argument with you. I will explain my frustration more clearly.

1/ I paid an extortionate amount of money for InDesign CS6 and have been very happy with the results

2/ It appears that Adobe and you want me to forget the amount of money that I have already invested, bin the old software and buy a subscription to a new more powerful program that was built on the same design. I will receive a meagre discount for the first year and then be charged in the region of £50.00 per month there after. That works out at £600 per calendar year. And a cost that will have to be passed on to my customers

3/ On other Adobe products they offer an add on for updates. So why can't they offer an add on for the Fixed and reflowable layouts.

4/ As mentioned in an earlier conversation. I am impressed with the software and will more than likely have to subscribe to CC 2014.

So lets end this conversation here in the knowledge that I will be buying a subscription .

• 27. Re: Fixed Layouts for Indesign CS6

I give up.