3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2007 1:57 PM by kglad

How to get a movie to be loading in background?

Jethro-D
      Hi, I posted this in the General forum, but it wasn't getting much interest. I'm hoping someone here can help.

We're designing a portfolio site. It will have a fairly large amount of large bitmap images that need to look really good.

I'll make another post to make sure I have the very best optimization techniques down. But to keep quality up, some movies may just end up being fairly large (though I'm not sure how 'large' is defined these days with broadband).

- But I'm wondering if/how to have a movie(s) 'preload' in the background so that when it is called up, it is all or mostly loaded in the browser cache?

Basically, we've divided each of the sections of the portfolio up into separate movies, with a various number of large images each. These are called up when you click their text link in the landing page area. I was hoping that as people hit the landing area and are reading the text or looking over the links, a couple of our larger-sized movies could be loading in the background so they don't have to wait as long if/when they click the link to that movie.

Thanks. This is a bit new to me, so I want to make sure it's done as well and efficiently as possible. It needs to function and look very professional.
        • 1. Re: How to get a movie to be loading in background?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          assign an _alpha of zero to the target movieclip or _level and begin loading when you're ready. there's usually a strategy used in deciding which swf to load first, second etc.
          • 2. Re: How to get a movie to be loading in background?
            Jethro-D Level 1
            Thanks for the reply.

Just a couple questions for clarification.

- Is loading these movies with an _alpha zero in our initial 'landing page' movie (which does not have a preloader) going to cause this initial movie to have problems (with slowdowns/chunkiness)?

- Are you saying to assign _alpha to the target within the initial 'landing page' movie or to the movie you are loading?

- Any opinions on the efficiency differences between doing this with the _alpha or the _level commands?

- Any other methods?

Thanks again for the help!
            • 3. Re: How to get a movie to be loading in background?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              yes, any simultaneous downloads will slow the download of each. that's why you want to give some thought to your strategy for downloading.

you assign an _alpha of zero to the target movieclip into which your are loading your external bitmaps so they don't suddenly appear on-stage when loading is complete.

efficiency is the same whether you load into a target movieclip or a target level.