7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 7:55 AM by ECBowen

Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.

alexdejesus Level 1

I have the ASUS X99-E WS board with the Intel 8-core i7-5960K processor. I understand that the RAM is DDR4, but I need to know which RAM to go with. Normally I go with the Corsair series, but I have read somewhere about instability problems? Or maybe it is the DDR4 that is the problem and not the brand?

I will need 64-GB, but budget may limit me to 32 GB for now. Depends on pricing. I see the GSkill Ripjaws brand around out there as an alternate to the more expensive Corsair Dominator, but I have never used that brand. In fact, the Tweakers page lists the Ripjaws and NOT the Corsair. What do you know that I don't? Finally, with 64 GB installed, should I go with 2133, 2400, 2800 speed?

• 1. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It might require a little searching, but Eric in his Haswell -E benchmarks has commented on Memory.  I will be doing some similar searching shortly.

• 2. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
            alexdejesus Level 1

It's okay. There aren't many 64 GB kits to choose from so I ordered the Corsair. The Corsair has a higher spec than the Ripjaw it seems, hence the price.

There is a price drop on the 8-core i7-5960K processor if you're anywhere near a Fry's they are going for $888

• 3. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
              JFPhoton Level 3

One idea would be to read several online reviews that involved overclocking the Haswell E and tweaking the memory to its maximum potential....I have seen a few already that discuss this and also the technique for squeezing more performance out of the Nvidia 980 with a moderate overclock on reference GPUs by not increasing voltage at all, but,  increasing core and memory clocks with MSI Afterburner. This may not work on non- reference card, not sure. Check the overclocking sites that gamers usually visit. Some have acheived the higher memory freqencies that are supposed to be available with Haswell  E memory.

Of course, concerning PPro and this issue, Eric here would probably have the best advice.

• 4. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
                SiliconPixel Level 1

As you guys are using the X99-E WS maybe you can answer this - how much memory does the X99-E WS support with an i7 5960K CPU?

Asus web site says 128GB whereas the manual says 64GB!

Is there a physical limitation imposed by the CPU (guess so), which of those figures is correct?

Paul.

• 5. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 64GB is due to the maximum density of Unbuffered DDR4 right now which is 8GB Dimms. Most of the board manufacturers limit the Reg Dimms to server boards only. Only the Reg Dimms have density options at 16GB right now. You will likely see some 16GB unbuffered Dimms next year at some point but I wouldn't expect them until there are more Fabs running DDR4. That density takes the higher grade chips which are being used on high speed DDR4 right now. I have listed the ram I would suggest in other threads. I wont get into why you want to avoid many of the sticks out there in a public forum but I will say avoid any where the timings are different for the first 3. An example would be sticks with timings listed as 13 15 15... . You want to get ram that is CL 15 and the first 3 timings are the same.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
                    SiliconPixel Level 1

Thanks for the heads up. What RAM do you or would you choose then? I had a look from a couple of suppliers and couldn't see a 8X8GB kit that had your timing recomendations.

• 7. Re: Best RAM Option For Haswell-E? Brand, Speed, etc.
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Right now Gskill has  been solid at 2400 and 2666. That is what I am recommending for the 2666 especially. Crucial is solid for 2400 ram but their timings might be CL 16. See if they  have CL 15 since the 16's will definitely be a lower grade.

Eric

ADK