6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 6:01 AM by Derek Cross

Help with Indesign Page Layout

emjay_uk_2000

How can I move a page to the left-hand side?  I am designing a booklet and all the pages have a Master applied to it except he first and last (which are the covers).  Now the first page starts on the right hand side (as it should) but the last one ends on the right as well?  (see image 1)

IMAGE 1
      temp1.jpg

How can I moved this to the left side - also if I try to add a new page it adds it to the right of the right!  Which makes it look very weird (see image 2)

IMAGE 2

temp2.jpg

So I need page 53 to be moved to the left.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Emjay

• 1. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't see enough of the pages panel to tell you where, but someplace you have restarted numbering and forced ID to switch sides by disallowing page shuffling, but you are allowing it for the last page.

Pages are, by default, assigned to left or right based on the logical page number assigned to them. For left-to-right languages, this puts odd pages on the right and evens on the left, and vice versa for right to left languages. In your screen shot the numbers are on the wrong sides in the existing spread and that requires some sort of intervention on your part, either changing the binding direction using a RTL-enabled version of ID or by turning off shuffling.

• 2. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
            emjay_uk_2000 Level 1

Okay well here are a few more of the pages before.

temp3.jpg
            I don't really understand a lot of what you said (I did a beginners course but I'm still quite new to Indesign) but I started with a front cover which I didn't want the master to apply from (i.e I didn't want page numbers to be on this - so I started Page 1 on Page 2).  Does that help anymore?

Cheers
            Emjay

P.S. since I posted this I've add a couple of pages to make it properly add up to a multiple of 4)

• 3. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Making logical page 1 (the first one with a page number that shows) a left hand page is where your trouble started.

Not only did it mean you forced the pages to the wrong side from ID's point of view, you've violated the tradition on which that behavior is based. When they open your bound book, your readers expect to see odd numbers on the right, and it would be "normal to add a blank page, if necessary, before "page 1" to make that happen.

>> P.S. since I posted this I've add a couple of pages to make it properly add up to a multiple of 4...

Really? Maybe you mean since the newest screen shot, which is showing 55 pages -- logical numbers don't matter.

• 4. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
                Derek Cross Level 6

With a book/booklet it's customary, even if the page numbers don't appear, for the numbers to appear on the correct page.

So, for example, you might have: Cover (1), imprint (2,) Contents (3), Blank (4); Then the Text starts on page 5.

Pages 1 to 4 (in this example would have no page numbers appearing, but they would start on page 5 with the number 5 appearing.

You put the page numbers on via a Master page: Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.

(Command/control + shift on the page number on the actual pages where you want the page numbers deleted.)

Apart from anything else, the numbers makes it clearer for the printer to do the correct imposition.

Derek

P.S. Page numbers are also known as "folios".

• 5. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DerekC1000 wrote:

With a book/booklet it's customary, even if the page numbers don't appear, for the numbers to appear on the correct page.

So, for example, you might have: Cover (1), imprint (2,) Contents (3), Blank (4); Then the Text starts on page 5.

Pages 1 to 4 (in this example would have no page numbers appearing, but they would start on page 5 with the number 5 appearing.

Derek

I have not found this to be the case. Many books have introductory pages that are outside the main numbering scheme, with page 1 starting a few physical pages in, where the main content starts. Intro pages are then numbered with roman numerals. It works fine as long as the new page one is on the right-hand side.

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 8.40.21 AM.png

• 6. Re: Help with Indesign Page Layout
                    Derek Cross Level 6

Yeah, if you have lengthy prelims, it's often useful to have them in roman numerals