11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2014 7:27 PM by The Hangerbum

The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD

The Hangerbum Level 1

Hello, When I use PE12 to publish my 16gb MP4 video cam footage to a 4.7gb DVD am I losing a great deal of the original video quality? It almost seems I must be.

• 1. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely you are. If by "quality" you mean "resolution."

What is the resolution of your original MP4? A DVD has only 720x480 resolution, about one-fourth the resolution of a high-def video.

• 2. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
            The Hangerbum Level 1

Thank you..... my MP4 resolution is 1920 X 1080. What I see on my DVD playback is very good quality as far as I'm concerned but if the DVD quality is maxed out at 720X480 should I be wasting the time with the larger video files? It does take PE12 a long time to publish them

• 3. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Creating a DVD does 2 things to your file

1-reduces the size of the screen from HiDef to Standard Definition to meet the DVD specification

2-compresses the file by GREATLY reducing the amount of data

• 4. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

The Hangerbum

I just saw your thread and its discussion at this late date.

You talk about a 16 GB file being taken to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality, that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

Just before you hit the burn button in the burn dialog, what do you see listed in the Quality area for Space Required and Bitrate with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

There is the obvious difference in source (1920 x 1080) versus the end product (720 x 480) resolution

dictated by the standard for DVD-VIDEO. But, if the program is struggling to make the fit of content to disc, the program may be automatically lowering

the bitrate significantly to make the fit. Lower the bitrate, lower the file size, lower the quality. Anything less than an 8.00 Mbps bitrate in the burn dialog before burn needs to be evaluated. The actual burn process uses a variable bitrate so the actual bitrate is varying less than 8.00 Mbps anyway during the burn.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                  The Hangerbum Level 1

Thanks....actually I am frequently able to uncheck "Fit to Available Space" as I suppose PE12 has dissected my 16 gb to something less than the 4 point something that will fit on the DVD, So I guess the only way to preserve the original high quality is to copy to a drive?...e.a  .....one tb drives I use for back up. anything that is DVD compatible that is High def?>

• 6. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

The Hangerbum

Thanks for the reply. The only time one should work without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" is when one get "data rate error". Then you are forced to remove the check mark, so that you can manually lower the bitrate to allow yourself to continue.

But, I am still curious as to how your 16 GB source was represented in the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate when you were using the DVD 4.7 GB/120 min. Have you ever considered doing the burn to using a DVD double layer single sided disc (spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 min - in reality this 8.5 GB = 7.95 GB)?

ATR

• 7. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                      The Hangerbum Level 1

Thanks ATR... I have not thought of the double sided DVD..... will consumer DVD players pay them? I will have to look that one up.....

When my video is downloaded from the camcorder a typical MP4 file size is approximately 36gb for about 1.5 hours of video. This plays back in PE12 and on my PC at extremely good resolution/definition. My goal is to have as close to that quality playback from my finished DVD as possible when playing it on my home DVD player.... is this even possible? The double layered DVD would allow me to preserve more of the video data thus better resolution...yes?

• 8. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                        The Hangerbum Level 1

Well... just did my homework on DVD options.... duel layered is the way to go but I don't have the drive to burn them.....yet.  :-)

I still have a lack of understanding the different format and bit rates etc. ... but I don't think this is the forum for those questions.............?

• 9. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

The Hangerbum

Please never hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification here If we cannot answer your Premiere Elements question or related question or if there is a better place for you to ask your question, we will let you know.

Although you may have more than one preset to select in Premiere Elements Burn To:, these presets cannot be customized by the user. No Advanced Button as for some other export categories. The properties of the preset are as stated.

When you see Bitrate as maximum 8.00 Mbps for DVD-VIDEO (4.7 GB/120 min or 8.5 GB/240 min disc), that bitrate is not constant for the export. The export works from a variable bitrate which is determined by the program as the encoding proceeds. The max bitrates for HD are going to be different and higher than that for DVD-VIDEO, but will also be the variable bitrate kind.

We will be watching for your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

The Hangerbum

With regard to your post 7 in your thread...most of the regular DVD players that we see today support DVD double layer single sided discs. I do not if you will run into it, but there is the concept of Layer Break for the DVD double layer disc. For general purposes for this Layer Break, the following might be of interest

Dual Layer Burning With PgcEdit

How to Guide, Set the Layer Break Point for DVD-Video - GEAR Software, Multimedia Made Easy

ATR

• 11. Re: The concept of puting a 16gb MP4 file on a 4.7gb DVD
                              The Hangerbum Level 1

Thanks ATR, what is the run time for a duel layered DVD? Can it still be 2 hours but keeping more of the original data for better resolution?