8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 12:28 PM by Just for Fun Productions

Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog

Just for Fun Productions

In situations are to select the option. Copy New Photos To A New Location And Import. However, that option is not listed. Only the option to add new photos to catalog without importing is listed.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Did you try clicking on the File Handling section (where it says "Add new Photos to catalog without moving") and looking a the pulldown section?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog
            Just for Fun Productions Level 1

Thanks for your input. The pull down has only two options. 1) Add new Photos to catalog without moving 2) Don't import new photos

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog
              RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

On where is the catalog to be imported located? Thumb Drive? Card? Harddrive?

Where is the catalog into which the other will be imported?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog

The catalog and photos are on a portable drive. I am attempting to import them onto my Catalog and photo files on my Computer(IMAC). The reason why I just don't import the photos is because I have already worked on them in the Develop mode when I was on vacation. I have about 100 photo files in DNG formate to be imported.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog
                  richardplondon Level 4

I believe this is normal, and IMO makes some sense. You are going from a situation where the images concerned are imported into one Catalog (our "source"), to one where they are imported into two catalogs (the "source", and the "destination" you are bringing the pictures into).

If Lightroom was to move the images physically during this operation, they would then become lost (offline) so far as the OTHER catalog was concerned.

It is less clear-cut why a "copy" operation should not be offered, but I suppose that could be said to run against usual expectations. These images are already successfully "imported to LR" and the principles of non-destructive economy, suggest that the least physical change must always be imposed.

Because what is actually being transferred across here, is not so much images in the sense of files - but more accurately, some database records ABOUT images. The records being transferred include a path to the original image file alongside a lot of other LR Catalog stuff... History, Virtual Copies, Collection membership etc. It is those things which justify doing it this way.

Otherwise, one might simply do a standard Import of the files themselves - perhaps after first writing metadata out to them, from the other LR catalog. That method would offer all of the "physical" options.

But the images can always be moved to another folder or drive from inside LR, after "merging" the two Catalogs' contents.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog

If I understand correctly. First merge the Catalog data, then transfer the photo files. Is that correct? If so, I will give it a try.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog
                      richardplondon Level 4

Just for Fun Productions wrote:

If I understand correctly. First merge the Catalog data, then transfer the photo files. Is that correct? If so, I will give it a try.

Yes. Merging the Catalog data means that the same images are imported to both Catalogs, referenced from the exact same locations.

In other words, both Catalogs will now share the same physical image files.

If you are OK about the other Catalog losing sight of these images, or plan to delete it altogether - you can then "move" the image files  wherever you like, for the purposes of your main Catalog.

"Move" may have one of two meanings, there:

1. Drag the images from one place into another place, within the LR Folders panel. This works the same physically as moving files using your OS file-browser  (Windows Explorer / Mac Finder) except that by doing it from inside LR, LR will additionally not lose track of the new locations of the images; it will update its own internal records accordingly - suitably altering the file path, inside each affected database record).
                      2. Or, if you instead manually move the images (say, from a laptop computer used during a trip, into your desktop setup) outside of LR, then they will temporarily appear to LR to have gone missing. So you can correct for that directly, by re-addressing them wholesale - pointing at the parent folder involved, and directing LR to the new / current location for that - selecting "Find missing folder" or else "Update folder location" IIRC. This suitably alters LR's internal records, to achieve the same final outcome.

RP

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5: Cannot import photos from a different catalog

Thank you. I have saved the info. I will try it that way,