2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 1:35 AM by Peter Stnsz

Localized forms won't show properly on punctuations (Arabic)

Peter Stnsz Level 1

Hi All,

I am encountering continuously (when working with Arabic) problems with localized forms.

See screenshots:

1 .This is what I want to get (localized form for colon) but the ® mark must be superscripted.

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 15.41.46.png

2. When superscripting ® mark, localized style is gone and colon appear to be regular ('square') version.

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 15.41.56.png

3. Same happen with brackets, full stops and so on:

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 16.20.38.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 16.20.34.png

Now, I can resolve the issue by using Body Text paragraph style with [No Language] and then use nested GREP with Character Style set to English to keep punctuation consistent (Arabic may randomly leave localized forms and un-localized). However English or any other language may not apply non-localized forms to the punctuations in effect we will be left with random punctuation forms across the text. Also even when character style have 'Localized Forms' function checked (IndicPlus Plug-In):

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 16.29.06.png

the function doesn't work at all.

Problem usually appear when we have Latin (Roman) character around the punctuation - that forces next character to be non-localized form. Sometimes help to place Non-joiner (or even hair space) between those character but chances that we get correct form for punctuation are very small.

I can recognize this as a bug? Maybe someone came across this issue and know any work-around?

Described issue appears at:

InDesign CS4 with IndicPlus Plug-in 2.0

I can confirm that issue persist when using:

InDesign CS6 ME version.

Regards

Peter