Today we're pleased to announce that the next version of AIR is available for immediate download. This release includes bug and security fixes. In addition, the AIR SDK has been updated with important iOS 8 compatibility updates.
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 15. Please see our release notes for full details.
- Stage3D “Standard” profile support for iOS and Android
In the Flash Runtime 14 release we introduced the Stage3D “Standard” profile which provided many advanced 3D features. At that time, the “Standard” profile was only available on desktop platforms. In the AIR 15 release we are extending this coverage to mobile platforms. If a device supports OpenGL ES3, it can successfully request the “Standard” profile and use the same advanced features as the desktop platform.
For additional information, please see our Stage3D Standard Profile article.
- Relaxing Stage3D Render Target Clear
In previous versions of Stage3D, after switching the render texture through Context3D::setRenderToTexture, you were required to clear it before drawing. In this release, we're removing this limitation and optimizing the use of render textures. This change will allow you to further optimize and reuse depth and stencil buffers between different render textures.
For additional information, please see Relaxing Render Target Clear Operation in Stage 3D.
- StageText.drawViewPortToBitmapData now supports Retina displays
Currently, AIR will allow a bitmap with the same width/height of the StageText object to be passed into drawViewPortToBitmapData. While fine for standard resolution displays, this is not sufficient for Apple's Retina HiDPI displays. Based on customer feedback, we've altered the drawViewPortToBitmapData method to accept a doubled size BitmapData with StageText's view port on a Mac Retina display, and then draw a HiDPI image from the view port.
- Improved Packaging Engine is now default - iOS
Starting AIR 15, new improved IPA packaging engine is now the default packaging mode when packaging for AOT targets ipa-app-store, ipa-test, ipa-ad-hoc and ipa-debug. If you encounter any packaging or runtime issues, please report at http://bugbase.adobe.com. To use older packaging mode, use "-useLegacyAOT yes" in the ADT command, before the signing options. To learn more about the feature, please read Faster Compiling with AIR for iOS
- AIR Gamepad Enhancements
AIR Gamepad feature enables the app developers to provide a second screen on Android mobile devices for the Flash based browser games. AIR Gamepad API enables Flash based browser apps to connect to a paired Android device running the AIR Runtime app and therefore allowing the Android devices to be used as game controllers or second-screen interfaces. Following enhancements are available starting AIR 15.
Applying skin as AIR gamepad screen
To learn more about the feature and usage guidelines, please see Android Devices with AIR as Gamepads
- AIR Cross Promotion
Adobe AIR 15 now supports cross promotion of AIR games for mobile devices. Cross promotions can be effective in saving some amount of advertising cost. With the right partnership, you gain access to a wider customer base with a demographic similar to that of your application. This cross promotion is free and works on a credit system. All you need is to earn enough credit points by promoting other AIR games to begin your own promotion campaign. The AIR SDK offers the new AdViewer API for promotion campaigns as a SWC, it provides functions to load and show in-game advertisements. You earn credit points for promoting AIR games by other developers based on ad impressions and clicks.
To learn more about the feature and usage guidelines, please see Cross Promotion of AIR Games for Mobile.
- [iOS] Launch image Defaultfirstname.lastname@example.org is not appearing in iPhone 6 Plus in standard display mode (Bug 3837220)
- [iOS] "Unknown or unsupported SDK version" error appears on installing application on iOS simulator, when -platformsdk version is given as .../Developer/SDK/iPhoneSimulator.sdk. (Bug 3837285)
- [iOS] [New fast packager]Hurlant Base64 encode doesn't work in new fast compiled packaging mode. (Bug 3832978)
- [iOS] Adobe Air Runtime initiates the wrong launch image (email@example.com), when firstname.lastname@example.org and Defaultemail@example.com images are packaged. (Bug 3832184)
- [iOS] Blank frame appears instead of launch image Defaultfirstname.lastname@example.org when D@3x.png, Demail@example.com and D@2x.png are packaged with the application. (Bug 3829428)
- [iOS] [New fast packager] Some performance fixes are done for increasing fps values. (Bug 3815079).
- [Android 5.0] Stage3D fails to create context on Android 5.0. (Bug 3841657)
- Multiple security and stability fixes
- [Android] StageText not visible after screen rotation. (Bug 3821523).
- [iPhone 6 Plus][RADAR] Wrong screen size and dpi is returned through the runtime APIs. (Bug 3829474)
- [iPhone 6 Plus]
- [iOS] iPad Launch image is displayed on iPhone 6 Plus in standard display mode. (Bug 3836781)
- [iOS]Unable to install the application on iOS Simulator after updating iOS SDK and iPhone simulator with 7.1. (Bug 3833912)
- [iOS] [New fast packager] Some applications compiled with older ActionScript compiler won’t work with new fast packaging engine but when rebuild again with latest ActionScript compiler apps work fine. (Bug 3837665)
AIR 15 runtime for Windows: 220.127.116.116 Runtime Download
AIR 15 runtime for Macintosh: 18.104.22.1686 Runtime Download
AIR 15 SDK & Compiler for Windows: 22.214.171.1246 SDK & Compiler Download
AIR 15 SDK & Compiler for Macintosh: 126.96.36.1996 SDK & Compiler Download
Note: To provide all the all the necessary tools for our developers in one place and avoid having to download multiple components, we are packaging Adobe AIR 15 SDK and ActionScript Compiler 2.0 in a single SDK called “Adobe AIR 15 SDK & Compiler”.
AIR SDK 15 (Compatible with Flex) for Windows: 188.8.131.526 SDK Windows Download
AIR SDK 15 (Compatible with Flex) for Macintosh: 184.108.40.2066 SDK Macintosh Download
Previous versions of the AIR runtime and SDK can be found on the Archived AIR SDK and Runtimes page