2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 6:03 AM by zimzalabim87

Edge Animate Best Practices

cnc2001

Dear Community,

I have been wracking my brain to try to understand why my animation appears constantly jerky. I am new to Edge, and not a coder, and Im wondering why this happens:

http://www.christinaciardullo.com/ESO_HolidayCard_2014_4.html

What am I missing? I wanted to ask some best practices regarding

File Sizes: My pngs generally range from 30-90KB, with larger background images up to 500KB. Is this too much? What are appropriate file sizes for this kind of animation?

Animation Lengths: 2-3 second transitions, and constant back and forth motions.Too much at once?

Overlapping Layers: There is a lot of opacity changing in this - Is it not good to have things animate one on top of the other?

Animating Re-sizing: Maybe this is too much to ask? To zoom out?

Thank You!

C

• 1. Re: Edge Animate Best Practices
          Brice Hall Level 1

Based on my experience, zoom-in and outs of large files are generally the number one culprit in performance slowdowns. In your animation, between the zoom-out on the ball and background and the animations on the balls (multiple fade transitions and rotations), there's a lot to process at once. My first couple of suggestions are to decrease the the file size on the background image (the tree) and then to only begin the ball animations once the zoom out has completed. I'm guessing the background image is the 500kb image you referred to. Try taking it down to whatever quality is best before it's noticeably compromised. There's no fast rule for appropriate sizes – much of its depends on what you want to do with it and the platform it's going to run on. For instance, I noticed that the animation runs smoothly in Chrome while it has the hardest time in Firefox.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edge Animate Best Practices
            zimzalabim87 Level 1

Hi,

If you've eliminated any issues resulting from what Brice has suggested, one thing that I regularly find causes jerking is if I've unintentionally applied easing to animations. If you've got something like In-Out Elastic easing it could certainly create the effects that you're getting there on some of those animations, though it might not explain all of them. Probably be worth sharing the composition to have someone take a look at it.

D