1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 1:20 PM by John Mensinger

PNG imported to Indesign CC gets background added back in

mblaney Level 1

Hey guys, really confused about this, so I opened an image in photoshop and took out the background it was white but darker because of the actual lighting of the image. I used the blend mode to remove the background and then I flattened the image. I saved the image as a png and when I place it into indesign the image gets the background added back in, not a new white background, but the original shaded white from the photo I began with. I tried placing in indesign as a psd file, png, jpeg, and png 24 into indesign, no change. Also with indesign's "import settings" I tried with "Use transparency information" selected and without. I actually wouldn't mind if a white background to the image was added it, it is just that its the original darker white so it doesn't look right with indesign's which paper backing. I also opened the png files in Preview just to make sure they showed up as transparent and they did. Anyone know what to do?

• 1. Re: PNG imported to Indesign CC gets background added back in
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mblaney wrote:

I used the blend mode to remove the background and then I flattened the image.

I think this must be where you went wrong. I'm not certain I know what exactly you did that you describe as "used the blend mode" but generally speaking blend modes are dependent on underlying pixels to produce a perceived result. It may appear that you've achieved transparency, but that could be dependent, when true transparency is independently transparent pixels. You need to actually erase (or delete) the areas you want to be transparent, then save properly as a transparent PNG.