1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 3:18 PM by Bob Somrak

Fix overexposed area in sunrise picture?

jessicaelyse10

I am very new to trying out photography as a hobby and just got my first DSLR camera less than a year ago. I recently took many sunrise/sunset pictures on my honeymoon and noticed that in a lot of them, there seems to be a white/yellow orb-like glow from the sun. Unfortunately, I did not shoot any of these as RAW images because I'm still learning! Does anyone know how to  fix this in Lightroom?

IMAG0362.jpg IMAG0337.jpg

• 1. Re: Fix overexposed area in sunrise picture?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

It would have been best to do a little different exposure and shoot raw to begin with but thats another thread topic.

The photo with the yellow sun still has some detail so there may be something you can do to improve it.  You can use the brush or gradient to reduce the exposure in the sky, lower the highlight slider, reduce the exposure then up th shadows to bring the foreground back, or a probably a combination of these.  There are MANY other ways to accomplish this so this is not cookbook.  I am sure you know that you could do a lot more with raw.

The photo with the white sun area is COMPLETELY devoid of any color data (pure white) in the white area so is unfixable.