3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 11:48 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Making After effect faster on my computer?

a_f_t

Hi ,

This is my first ever post in this forum and i hope to find some good people with great answers and hopefully help more users with problem like mine.

so heres the thing, this is my computer spec:

iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory:16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

OS X 10.9.5

working on After effect CC 2014 (latest release).

so my question is how can i make my computer work faster (especially while working and rendering in AE)? cause in the past few months i feel it takes it more time to render a frame or a movie and in general the system feels more sloby.

i know this topic been covered in other sites and discussions but i wanted to hear other users who had that problem in the past and managed to solve it or ease the pain a bit.

many thanks

• 1. Re: Making After effect faster on my computer?
          Dsarchy Level 3

You specs are fine but it could be down to spyware/malware/failing hard disk/faulty ram/etc....

Have you configured After effects? If not check the help files they will tell you have to set up your PC with AE. Once you have done that first thing to check is that After Effects is using all your CPU's/Ram. Start rendering and check your Activity Monitor.

As you are using over 4gb Ram you should be using the 64 bit version.

Next make sure you are rendering using all 8 cores (this can be set in preferences).

• 2. Re: Making After effect faster on my computer?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

As you are using over 4gb Ram you should be using the 64 bit version.

Next make sure you are rendering using all 8 cores (this can be set in preferences).

AE has been 64-bit since CS5; CC 2014 is certainly 64-bit.

Using all 8 cores is unwise:  what will the operating system and any other open applications use?  They need processors, too.  Not to mention memory: a pretty fair starting point is to reserve 25% of the processors & memory to the rest of the system.

And multiprocessing isn't everything it's cracked up to be, because there are effects in AE that only use ONE processor.  If such an effect is stacked with other effects, AE will only use one processor, no matter if the other effects can use multiprocessing.

I'd be interested in knowing what the OP considers to be slow.  Render speed depends on a lot of factors: lights, shadows, the specific effects applied, the dimensions of layers... to name a few.  The render times may be perfectly normal.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Making After effect faster on my computer?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7