3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2007 8:10 PM by ritjunior

Load time

ritjunior Level 1
      I have a site containing movie clip animations that are 435 frames long. This seems to be causing lagg times when the pages(.SWF) are called up, depending on processor speed. Sometimes the viewer is looking at a blank screen for as long as 5-10 seconds before the next page loads. How can I remedy this problem?? My animations are all timeline based. If they were somehow executed via ActionScript alone would this somehow make them less processor heavy? The animations consist of 3 images panning and fading in/out on top of one another behind a masked area(window). Check the site at: www.boulevardpropertiesllc.com
        • 1. Re: Load time
          mclem Level 1
          if the whole site is in flash why are you loading a new page everytime you click a flash link... just have the main swf file load the next piece of content inside of it, then you can use the MovieClipLoader class and show a loading progress bar. plus everything i see there on the link you sent could be done with vector graphics and text, that would decrease the file size down to a couple of kbytes which would virtually eliminate the load times. You should probably pick up a good book on flash design specific to flash driven websites, check amazon or barnes and noble.
          • 2. Re: Load time
            ritjunior Level 1
            Mark:
            I thought that it was more efficient to load external .SWF's rather than everything embedded in the .FLA. I presume you didn't see all the animated photos panning and fading back and forth? These are links from MY BLVD. and AVAILABILITY pages. These could not be vector art. I'm sure these animations are causing the time lag. In any case, are you suggesting that my HOME page should have an empty movie clip positioned at x=0, y=0; then create all successive pages as movie clips which load into it. In this case all content will load at one time while the enter page is being viewed. Then attach LOADMOVIECLIP actions to the buttons? How can I convert the .SWF's I've already created into single movie clip symbols?
            • 3. Re: Load time
              ritjunior Level 1
              Mark:
              I thought that it was more efficient to load external .SWF's rather than everything embedded in the .FLA. I presume you didn't see all the animated photos panning and fading back and forth? These are links from MY BLVD. and AVAILABILITY pages. These could not be vector art. I'm sure these animations are causing the time lag. In any case, are you suggesting that my HOME page should have an empty movie clip positioned at x=0, y=0; then create all successive pages as movie clips which load into it. In this case all content will load at one time while the enter page is being viewed. Then attach LOADMOVIECLIP actions to the buttons? How can I convert the .SWF's I've already created into single movie clip symbols?