7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 1:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?

davidbmcgill

I am trying to use my tablet and pen with Premiere Elements and find that I can only do a very limited amount. I can select files for importing and can drag them onto the timeline. I can also expand the audio and video channels on the timeline and can zoom in and out on the timeline. The only other thing I can do is select items on the menu bar. Otherwise I cannot use my pen as a mouse at all. Are there compatability issues with Wacom devices and this program?

• 1. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

davidbmcgill

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Unlike the Adobe Photoshop Elements

Forum, we do not get many Premiere Elements/Wacom pen and tablet questions.

Have you gone through the drill of updating the Wacom drivers? Have you contacted Wacom about the compatibility

issues related to use of its products with Adobe products, specifically photo editors vs video editors?

Please define what else in your Premiere Elements projects that you want to do with the pen and tablet beyond what you described. What is the mouse offering in this instance which the pen and tablet is not?

Do you have Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements, and are you having the same problems in both programs?.

ATR

• 2. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
            davidbmcgill Level 1

Hi

I'm using a iMac running Yosemite and the Wacom driver version number 6.3.9ws. However, I've noticed that there is a later version (6.3.10wz) which I have now installed. The new driver does not make any difference. With the editor window open I cannot use the pen for any of the options shown on screen - adding media, tools, transitions, titles etc. etc. The mouse is offering all the functions of the programme, I can split audio from video resize clips, in fact everything I expect it to do.

I have taken it up with Wacom and wait to hear from them. I don't use PS Elements, however, I do use Photoshop and Lightroom and have no problems using the pen and tablet to do what I want.

David

• 3. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for the reply.

Several years ago I was gifted with a Wacom Graphire 3 pen and tablet. It has remained stored since 2010. I prefer the computer mouse.

This afternoon I took it from storage and installed it on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit computer. After the install, I updated the driver to

5.2.5-5a.exe from the Wacom website. This driver appears to be the latest driver for the Wacom model that I have.

This setup does everything a mouse would do in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and Premiere Elements 10. I have other Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements versions but I have not tried using the pen and tablet with them. I could not get use to the Wacom Graphire 3 pen and tablet back in 2010, and I still cannot. But, it does work with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 10 Windows if I took the time and patience to stay with it.

I am not sure what your situation reflects

a. A problem with your specific Wacom purchase

b. A Wacom Mac Premiere Elements issue

c. Other

It will be interesting to learn of Wacom's comments on this situation.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 4. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
                davidbmcgill Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I've still to hear from Wacom themselves but have joined their forum and will post details of my "problem" there. I'll let you know if I get an answer!

David

• 5. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for your reply. We will be looking forward to your results.

I believe that my Wacom Graphire 3 pen and tablet is a discontinued model by now (and no new driver since about 2011).

So it will be interesting to learn if this is a matter of older and newer offerings from Wacom or something else.

ATR

• 6. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
                    davidbmcgill Level 1

Hi

I have been in touch with Adobe again and they have told me that the tablet and pen is not supported by Premiere Elements as it is a video editing application!! All I want to really do is use the pen as a mouse which can't be really that difficult to set up!!

Wacom did say to check the pen sensitivity - this was before I contacted Adobe directly - it is fine so there is no problem with the tablet/pen combination.

Thanks for your input anyway, much appreciated.

David

• 7. Re: Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and pen compatability?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

davidbmcgill

Thanks for the follow up.

In post 3, I wrote of my experiences with the Wacom Graphire 3 (sometimes calls itself Bamboo) and Premiere Elements.

As I wrote, to answer your thread I installed it along with the latest driver after not using the pen and tablet in a long while and had no problems using it in place of a mouse in Premiere Elements.

I have since uninstalled the Wacom Graphire 3 and its driver. My major problem with the Wacom Graphire 3 was related to itself and not to its use with Premiere Elements. Within a day or so of install of the device, pop up messages about reinstall the Wacom driver were frequent on the Windows 7 64 bit computer.

ATR