7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 2:04 PM by Linds911

Cropping help!

Linds911

Not sure what I am doing wrong here but I've had some clients email me saying they are having issues printing ... specifically parts of the photo being cropped out. I shoot with a Canon EOS 70D and edit in LR-5. I do a lot of cake smashes and they are against a 5 foot backdrop (maybe I need to get larger?) so I have to do some cropping during editing just to bring the edges of the photo up to the edges of the backdrop otherwise you can see parts of my home in the background. I am guessing that I am not leaving enough room to allow for the machine at the printing lab to crop but I can't figure out a way around this because as I said I have to crop out background items outside of the drop (hope that makes sense). I am using the custom crop took in LR and have tried both a 4x6 and 8x10 custom crop but even still some parts of the photo are being cropped out as I bring the edges in so they are flush with the edge of the backdrop on the photo. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this??

• 1. Re: Cropping help!
          dj_paige Level 9

It's not clear to me that you did anything wrong.

If you don't want to allow the users to see the parts of your home, you must do a crop, probably a custom crop.

But when the photo is going to be printed, the printer will do its own crop to fit the picture into the size of the paper.

The only way to prevent the printer from doing its own crop is to guarantee that the cropped photo you send to the printer is the same size as the paper used to print the picture. In other words, if your customer wants to print 8x10, you (or your customer) must crop to 8x10.

Actually, this is a common problem ... if you are sending photos to someone who might print at 4x6 or 8x10 or 5x7 or whatever, and you don't know what size they will print it at, there is no one size that works for all of those; each must be cropped individually to the proper size to match the paper. Otherwise the printer will do the crop for you.

Wedding photographers leave lots of background area in their original photos, so no matter what size the photo is cropped to, the person does not get cropped, only the background. So maybe you need a much larger backdrop.

• 2. Re: Cropping help!
            Linds911 Level 1

dj_paige thank you for your reply. I am happy to hear it's not an error on my part. It seems to be only the cake smashes that I am having issues with and I wondered if it had something to do with having to come in close to crop because of the backdrop restrictions because my outdoor photos are always fine. From now on I guess I will have to get larger backdrops for them. Since I don't know what sizes my clients are going to print how can I get around this.. or can I? Would I be better off to custom crop at 11x14 so that there is more room for the machine to crop of they are printing a smaller size.. most people seem to print either 4x6 or 8x10 so my thinking is that starting off a little large allows for a smaller print whereas starting off small (4x6) doesn't allow for anything larger.. I realize some will get cropped but how do I give my clients their photos so they can print at different sizes without having to give two or three different sizes of each photo?

• 3. Re: Cropping help!
              dj_paige Level 9

Since I don't know what sizes my clients are going to print how can I get around this.. or can I?

As I said, no one size will work. Either the client has to crop before printing (which assumes they even know to do this and know how to do this), or you send them pre-cropped images — in other words, you send them a 4x6 crop and a 5x7 crop and an 8x10 crop and any other reasonable size crop, clearly labelled, so they can print properly at the size they choose.

Would I be better off to custom crop at 11x14 so that there is more room for the machine to crop of they are printing a smaller size.. most people seem to print either 4x6 or 8x10 so my thinking is that starting off a little large allows for a smaller print whereas starting off small (4x6) doesn't allow for anything larger..

Digital photos don't work that way. The two choices are: 1) send them one size and let them crop (dangerous, since they may not crop or may not crop properly); 2) send custom size crops as I explained above.

• 4. Re: Cropping help!
                Linds911 Level 1

Wow that's a lot of photos to send if I am giving them three different sizes of each photo. We had family photos taken two years in a row and was only given one size by the photographers and I never had any issues printing.. I did some in 4x6, an 8x10 and even a 16x20 without issue. How is that possible?

• 5. Re: Cropping help!
                  Linds911 Level 1

I really appreciate your time and input.

• 6. Re: Cropping help!
                    dj_paige Level 9

linds911 wrote:

Wow that's a lot of photos to send if I am giving them three different sizes of each photo. We had family photos taken two years in a row and was only given one size by the photographers and I never had any issues printing.. I did some in 4x6, an 8x10 and even a 16x20 without issue. How is that possible?

As I said, professional photographers will leave enough space around the subject so that no matter how you crop, the subject is still inside the un-cropped area.

• 7. Re: Cropping help!
                      Linds911 Level 1

Okay thanks.. sounds like I need to get bigger backdrops since it's just my indoor cake smashes that is the problem.