13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 2:22 PM by JimHess

Lightroom won't recognize my photos

CM Roberts

Lightroom won't recognize the photos on my SD card. I have tried accessing them from the card directly, moving them to my computer (where they show via desktop), and plugging in the camera (with the card in it) to my computer.

Help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
          dj_paige Level 9

Give us some details, please.

• What happens when you try?
          • Tell us the error message, quoted in its entirety, word-for-word, verbatim, complete
          • Version of Lightroom
          • Operating system
          • Camera
          • anything else that is relevant that might help us
          • 2. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
            CM Roberts Level 1
            • What happens when you try?

Lightroom looks for about 5 seconds (the processing "wheel" shows up underneath the folder that I'm trying to open) and then nothing happens

• Tell us the error message, quoted in its entirety, word-for-word, verbatim, complete

No error message appears

• Version of Lightroom

I downloaded the current version this morning. When I check for updates, it indicates that I have the most current version.

• Operating system

Windows 7

• Camera

Olympus tg-3

• anything else that is relevant that might help us

Files are jpeg. I thought that maybe a file is corrupt, so I tried just putting one picture on my desktop. It can't see it.

• 3. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
              dj_paige Level 9

I downloaded the current version this morning. When I check for updates, it indicates that I have the most current version.

This has nothing to do with you, I see this reply all the time, and I have stopped accepting it as valid information, because people have gotten it wrong many times. What is the version number of Lightroom?

Files are jpeg. I thought that maybe a file is corrupt, so I tried just putting one picture on my desktop. It can't see it.

You can't see it ... does this mean Lightroom can't see it, or your operating system can't see it, or your eyeballs can't see it ... what? Does this mean you cannot view the image, but the file is seen by the operating system, and you see the file name and icon? What?

• 4. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                CM Roberts Level 1

Oh! sorry, version 5.6

I see the file via  finder.

As far as i can tell, Lightroom can't see the file. In Lightroom, the photo file(s) does not show up, though the folder that contains the photo does. When I put the photo directly on the desktop, the filename doesn't show up.

Thanks for asking these questions. This is not isolated just to these new pictures on the SD card. I can't access any of the pictures on my computer. I just tried opening an assortment of my photo files and can't see (open) any of them

• 5. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                  dj_paige Level 9

When I put the photo directly on the desktop, the filename doesn't show up.

You have an icon with no file name? Does the file have a size? If so, what is the size? Does the file have a type, or extension? If so, what is the type or extension?

Can you show us a screen capture of this file with an icon but no file name?

Have you tried opening the file in any photo viewer, like whatever the default is for Windows? Or IrfanView?

I can't access any of the pictures on my computer. I just tried opening an assortment of my photo files and can't see (open) any of them

I really wish you'd be more specific, does this mean Lightroom can't import the photos? Or your operating can't "access" them, exactly what do you mean?

• 6. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                    CM Roberts Level 1

screen shot.png

So, the folder shows up, but the contents do not.

The files will open in a photo viewer:

lr-1.pnglr-2.pnglr-3.pnglr-3.png

• 7. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                      dj_paige Level 9

Are you 100% sure these are the same folders? Are you absolutely certain you don't have (accidentally) two different Manta Stills folders on your computer? The paths of the folders shown in the screen captures doesn't seem to match (actually, I can't see the full path of the Lightroom folder, I can only read Users\Cathi\My Pi...)

• 8. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                        CM Roberts Level 1

Yes. This is the only folder named Manta stills on my computer

lr-4.png

• 9. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                          dj_paige Level 9

What happens if you drag one of these photos from the Operating System window onto the Lightroom window? Does it import then?

• 10. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                            CM Roberts Level 1

Didn't know you could do that. Where do I drag it to - the import screen?

• 11. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                              dj_paige Level 9

I have done it with the Import dialog box closed, don't really know what happens with the Import dialog box opened.

Drag it anywhere inside the Lightroom window (like dead center)

• 12. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                                CM Roberts Level 1

Well, I couldn't drag it to the Library screen, it automatically popped up the import screen. I also couldn't drag it to the import screen. I noticed that it didn't have a destination indicated, so I filled out the right side of the screen and the photos appeared.

REALLY?

• 13. Re: Lightroom won't recognize my photos
                                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course, REALLY! What were you expecting?