7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 5:12 AM by ChrisR1

Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7

ChrisR1

Can anyone help?!

For the past 2 weeks, I have not been able to start Lightroom 5.6 at all, as each time I do Windows Explorer crashes seconds after I click the Lightroom desktop icon - only forcing a laptop shutdown by turning off the power frees Windows afterwards. 3 re-installs - the last after deleting the saved Lightroom catalogue - have failed to cure the problem, which I suspect has been caused by a Windows 7 update from Microsoft.

Interestingly, Adobe Photoshop 6 - which I also had on my laptop, started having the same effect on Windows at exactly the same time.

Is there a solution?

Chris

• 1. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
          dj_paige Level 9

This is almost always a hardware issue. Could be your CPU is overheating, especially if the fan inside the case is malfunctioning. (Could also be a bad CPU, or memory issues, or other hardware problems, but my first guess is the fan malfunctioning/CPU overheating)

• 2. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
            ChrisR1 Level 1

I don't think so. Both of them worked very well prior to a new batch of Windows updates 2 weeks ago. Since then, both cause Windows to crash when I try to start them up. The fan sounds no different. I'm pretty sure Lightroom and Photoshop are in conflict with Windows as a result of one of those Windows updates.

• 3. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
              dj_paige Level 9

Yet you are the only person reporting these problems, and many of us have the same software and operating system as you.

In any event this problem could also be one of your drivers, perhaps the graphics driver.

• 4. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
                ChrisR1 Level 1

Well I can only report what is happening, and that is what is happening! Microsoft have sent out faulty updates before, so it is not unprecedented.

If it is the graphics driver, is there a way to investigate that, and try and repair it?

I find it hard to believe it is a hardware problem, as both pieces of Adobe software worked fine before that batch of Windows updates was installed and if the hardware is it fault, symptoms would have shown up before then. I will admit that the likely cost of a new laptop just to run Lightroom is not good, and a problem which my income would make difficult to cope with.

• 5. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
                  dj_paige Level 9

Yes, Microsoft has sent out faulty updates, and then lots of people complain. As far as I know, that's not happening right now.

Have you ever heard of coincidences? You're walking down the street, and you see a penny and you pick it up and that night, your favorite sports team pulls off the big upset. It must have been the penny!!

Hardware malfunctions from time to time. Sometimes it malfunctions at about the same time as a Windows update. Just something to think about ...

Anyway, you would need to see if the video driver for your graphics card is up to date. Probably you can do that on the web site for the manufacturer of the graphics card.

• 6. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
                    ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi,

it would help to know exactly where this is occurring in Lr.

If you could try to attach the information from the Event Viewer?

If you open it and look into "eventvwr.msc /s" (you can type it in in the run input field on the start menu)

Look into Windows logs/Application and look for errors.

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 7. Re: Cannot start Lightroom 5.6, it keeps crashing Windows 7
                      ChrisR1 Level 1

I know what a coincidence is smartass, being an intelligent man I did not need a patronising story about coins and sports teams to tell me something obvious.

If it is hardware problem - and I have had them before with other computers - I think other pieces of software, especially to do with media like photos, videos etc, would also be malfunctioning. On my laptop, they are not - except for Lightroom. That to me suggests a software problem, not a hardware one. Anyway, I cannot find any mention of a graphics card in my Device Manager list, so where on the machine would I look for that information?

Chris