3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2007 6:59 AM by Genstore

Using Captivate Video

Genstore Level 1
      I am trying to provide links in a chm file to an external video which will be located on a CD/DVD.....I can make this work just fine by providing a "file" link...however......there may be times when the user's CD is NOT drive D. Is there a way to reference only the CDROM drive rather than an exact drive letter?
        • 1. Re: Using Captivate Video
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Genstore

I'm doubtful there is an easy way to accomplish this. One thing you might try would be to use an HTML Help Shortcut control to launch the file. I suggest this because one of the features of the shortcut control is to display an alternate topic if the file cannot be found for some reason. What you could do is to define a few topics that would try different known drive letters. For example, CD drives are typically D: or E: or F:. So you could have three different topics. Each topic configured with a shortcut control that looks for the file on a different drive letter. So essentially it would loop until all letters have been exhausted. Here is a brief example:

Assume CD drive is H:

Initial shortcut looks for page on drive D: File isn't found, so the LookOnE.htm page is displayed.
          LookOnE.htm page automatically tries shortcut control and looks on drive E. File still isn't found, so the LookOnF.htm page is displayed.
          LookOnF.htm page automatically tries shortcut control and looks on drive F. File still isn't found, so the LookOnG.htm page is displayed.
          LookOnG.htm page automatically tries shortcut control and finally displays desired file.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Using Captivate Video
            Genstore Level 1
            Thanks, I'll give that a shot
            • 3. Re: Using Captivate Video
              Genstore Level 1
              I can almost make the shortcut control work...but it wants me to enter an exe to run.....I can select acrobat reader and have it run, but if I just want to ignore the exe and fire off the "page to display if program not found"....how do I make that work?