• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Verity Searches for Special Characters not working

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2007 Mar 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using ColdFusion MX 7.0.1 with Verity and trying to search my collections for value "C++" I've tried to pair off the +'s with `` characters and also tried using the backslash, both with no luck. I'm using explicit search to do this, but also tried to perform the same searches as a simple. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if when the collections are indexed they actually remove the special characters such as +,& and .?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2007 Mar 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't help you, but can add that I have a similar problem. Mine is with the @ symbol. I have an index created by a query that includes email addresses among other fields. Doing a search on just the user name part of an email address gives a result, and doing a search on "username@" gives results. But adding anything after the @ gives no results (e.g., "username@d", "username@domain.com").

I posted this to CF-Talk with no solution. It seems like a bug to me, but I would want to get someone else to confirm before reporting if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'm using ColdFusion MX 7.0.1 with Verity and trying to search my collections
> for value "C++" I've tried to pair off the +'s with `` characters and also
> tried using the backslash,

It's unclear from what you say whether you mean this:

\++

Or this:

\+\+

?

I would expect the latter to work (as - quite possibly - would you have),
but have not tested it. I'm messing with Verity @ present so will have a
look-see this evening.

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thx for the feedback i was beginning I was being ignored. I haven't stopped looking into this though. Matt- I believe I've tried every thinkable combination /+/+, //+, `+` etc etc...
I unhappily found a blog you can check out if you like. This and other info I gathered summed up to this:
Basically you can escape in these special characters in our searches but when verity indexes, it replaces these same characters with a space, so we can't do searches on them.

I'm going to write a function to replace these characters (which for me are stored in a SQL table) with a combination - basically create my own "regular expression" and then run the index. Then when I display the search results, I'll have another function to translate the "regular expression" created back to the special character.
If either of you find anything simpler please let me know. Thanks!

here's the link aforementioned:
http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.coldfusion.verity/browse_thread/thread/f798ac09bd4c50d9/ef...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. I'll probably try something similar. Currently I just use the verity to get primary keys which I then use to get the actual record(s) from the DB. So I'll have to translate the @ when sticking it into the Index and for any searches, but I won't have to translate back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
As far as I know, Verity's escape character is a backslash.

> I believe I've tried every thinkable
> combination /+/+, //+, `+` etc etc...

And that - above - is a FORWARD slash...

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation