8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 5:49 AM by areohbee

how to sort images by keywords

i2p0

Hi all,

someone know if there's a way to sort the images into a smart collection using the keywords?

thanks

Filippo

• 1. Re: how to sort images by keywords
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure what you want.  Do you want to make a smart collection that finds photos containing specific keywords?  (Smart collections can do that.)   Or do you want to order a set of photos alphabetically based on their keywords?

• 2. Re: how to sort images by keywords
            i2p0 Level 1

Hi John!

it's  the second one... i have a smart collection and i want to order the image alphabetically using a set of keywords.

• 3. Re: how to sort images by keywords
              dj_paige Level 9

There is no such function in Lightroom to sort by keyword (there are functions to filter by keywords)

Maybe there's a plug-in that sorts by keyword, but I am not aware of any such plug-in

Normally, you don't use keywords for sort order anyway, if you really want a specific sort order, you could rename the photos and then sort by file name, or within a regular (not smart) collection, you could order the photos manually.

• 4. Re: how to sort images by keywords
                areohbee Level 5

I don't get this idea.

I mean, OK, if a photo only has one non-hierarchical keyword, then it's easy:

Photos with keyword A.. come first, those with keyword Z.. come last.

But what if a photo has multiple keywords?

PS - I have a script called 'Order Photos In Collection' which can sort just about any which way, once criteria is well defined. I may be able to add a preset for "Sort by keyword" once I understand what to do..

• 5. Re: how to sort images by keywords
                  dj_paige Level 9

I don't get this idea.

I'm glad you said that, because I don't really understand the reasoning or the logic either.

• 6. Re: how to sort images by keywords
                    i2p0 Level 1

hi dj, ok probably it's because I have particular needs,

but i'm moving from Aperture, and it has the keywords sort options that's works great also combining multiple keywords.

yes renaming the image is always a solution, but it is more confusing... and arrange manually is a non sense.. i have a library for a single project with more than 80.000 img. I need to add tag programmatically and then arrange the result accordingly...

I was hoping to find something helpful in lightroom to reduce time for catalogate everything.

• 7. Re: how to sort images by keywords
                      dj_paige Level 9

If you were going to "tag programmatically", could you instead "rename programmatically"? Why do you have to use keywords for this task? What is confusing about renaming images?

(I am just trying to understand and perhaps find an easier way to do this in Lightroom that is available right now instead of available if and when Rob modifies his script)

• 8. Re: how to sort images by keywords
                        areohbee Level 5

i2p0 wrote:

works great also combining multiple keywords.

I dunno if you'd be comfortable using a script for this, but if it would be satisfactory to you, then I would need to understand how you want photos ordered based on keywords, if I were to create the requisite script - so far, I don't have a clue.

For example: which comes first - a photo with Anteater, and Zebra, or one with Butterfly? Why?