3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 5:36 AM by JJMack

Create Script to Append a Filename as Part of an Action

AJPhotoshopBeginner Level 1

I have an image, and I have a handy action that saves it, crops it, saves it again, crops it differently, and saves it one more time. Right now, I have two options for those saves--I can either save each crop in a separate folder and then batch rename, or I have the action pause as it saves so I can customize the filename. What I would like to do is create a script (or, if there's an easier way), to append that filename so it will all just save in the same folder without my having to do it manually.

Essentially I start with the filename: "TEST"

for the first part, it I save as "TEST"

for the second save, I want it to save as "TEST_P1"

for the third save, I want it to save as "TEST_P2"

I'm brand new to scripting, and my programming background is with Java and way in my past, so it all feels a bit unfamiliar. If anyone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!

• 1. Re: Create Script to Append a Filename as Part of an Action
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

An other option is to use the Image Processor Pro script. You would  create several actions to do the different crops you want make to the original size document not a crop of crop of a crop down to the final crop.  Have no saves at all in these actions. Then just use meny File>Automate>Image Processor Pro.  Set up its dialog to save the file names you want to where you want them saved create.  You could also record that into an action. The images processor pro script is a Photoshop Plug-in.  It will record the setting you used in its dialog into the action step.    You can also save the dialog setup for future use in the IPP dialog before you run the process you set up.

You can save as many files as you need with IPP  and run your simple cropping actions for each crop size. IPP simply opens you file passes a copy to each of your actions and after the action runs save the  modified copy doctment with the file name you set up. You can set up as many tabs as you need you can even  have you crops re-sized  using IPP optional re-size.   Though the script is easy to use its 10K+ lines of Photoshop scripting....

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Create Script to Append a Filename as Part of an Action
            AJPhotoshopBeginner Level 1

Hello JJ Mack!

Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately, this is for a work project and we're prohibited from downloading any extensions. It seems like what you're suggesting would work, I just can't access it.

• 3. Re: Create Script to Append a Filename as Part of an Action
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

It would work.  So you now know it is possible to script what you want to do. The script would not need to be as versatile as ipp with  all its features.  Still it would require good programming skills , good Photoshop knowledge as a well thought out design.

To do just what you want to do would not require the 10K+ lines of code that IPP. has.   If your prohibited because your a student and they want you to learn to  do things yourself own so be it.  If your prohibited for some other reason I hope its for some good valid logical reason.  If not if it was me I think would be looking for a project elsewhere.