10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 3:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio issue in Premiere Elements10

Bridgeway

I'm editing video in PE10 and have run into a bizarre audio issue. I have selected a section of video and audio to delete, as I near the end of that particular clip, the audio that I have just deleted is now the audio at the end of the video clip. If I undo the deleted video and go to the end of that particular section, the audio matches the video just fine. The audio is only out of sync if I delete sections of video. I have deleted my entire project and started all over, checking that section of video prior to doing any editing, and the audio and video match.

I've edited videos in the past and have never had this issue. I have no idea how to fix it or why this is happening. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am using:

MS Office XP

PE10

The video has been pulled off a video camera (Canon VIXIA HF R50)

I've used Get Media from files to get the video into PE10.

When I delete a section of video, I choose that section, click timeline and choose "delete and close the gap".

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bridgeway

Before anything else, I need to ask THE question to get its answer ruled in or out of the problem equation....

Is your Premiere Elements 10 running on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card?

I could ask for a step by step on what you are doing, but I think I may have the answer and understand the situation. Let us see. If not, then

I am going to need some step by step workflow details for what is happening there other than what you have already posted.

This is what I suspect....

Somehow you have video on the video track and audio on the audio track that are not linked.

And, when you go to cut a video/audio segment for deletion, you are highlighting selecting only the video portion and not the video and audio portions.

Consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
            Bridgeway Level 1

Hi ATR,

My computer is running an Intel (R) 4 Series Internal Chipset for the video card.

From what I can see on PE, Audio 1 and Video 1 are running together, but I honestly don't know how to check that.

My knowledge of this program is fairly basic. I use it for work related projects and have been shown the basics (enough to process a video to be put onto a DVD) so my ability to troubleshoot is fairly minimal, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience.

• 3. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bridgeway

Thanks for the reply.

To check out whether or not linked vs unlinked video audio is involved here, please look at the following...

With your video audio on Video Track 1/Audio Track 1

Linked Video Audio Case

a. If you have video and audio that imports linked together (default situation) and you have not selected the clip, it

will look like what you see in the first screenshot....note the dull color tone of the clip representation on the tracks.

b. When you click on the clip (video or audio portion), the clip will change color tone (lighten up) after it is selected.

In the case of the linked video audio, both portions will be selected/highlighted together. See what that

looks like in the second screenshot.

Selection 1.JPG

Selection2.JPG

Unlinked Video Audio Case

c. Now if we get to the situation where the video on Video Track 1 is not linked to the audio on Audio Track 1,

and you select/highlight/click on the video portion, only it will be selected (lighten up indicating selection).

That situation is presented in the third screenshot.

Selection3.JPG

d. And, if we select/highlight/click on just the audio portion in this unlinked scenario, only the audio portion will

be selected (lighten up indicating selection). That situation is presented in the third screenshot.

Selection4.JPG

Please compare your situation with the screenshots and then let us know if you are working with

a clip with linked or unlinked video audio.

Please do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification. Based on your reply, we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                Bridgeway Level 1

Hi ATR,

The Audio 1 and Video 1 are linked as they both "highlight" when I click on that particular section.

Audio_video.png

To cut a section of clip I do the following:

I locate the areas I want to clip and record the time frames. Press pause, which will be the end of the spot where I want cut. Select the scissors and click at the area I want to cut. Then drag the red line to the beginning of the time frame I had previously recorded, again select the scissors, click the area I want to cut. I then right click that highlighted area and choose Delete and Close Gap.

If, where I need to cut, is from the beginning of a clip, I locate the end of the time frame I need to cut, select the scissors, highlight from the beginning to where I've stopped the red line and then again right click and choose Delete and Close the Gap. It is highlighting both the audio and the video sections.

Audio_video2.png

That is the way I have done it for all videos I have completed and I have never had this issue.

I typically wait until I've gone through my video to render it, but in this instance have tried rendering it before I start editing. It has made no difference to what's happening with the audio.

I'm not sure if I've missed a step on my initial set up, so have deleted my entire projected and started all over.

The initial project settings are: NTSC-AVHCD-HD 1080i30

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bridgeway

Still thinking about this since you have linked video and audio.

But, please try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then the whole 10.0 Folder in which it exists.

In Windows XP 32 bit...

Documents and Settings

Owner

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you

can see the complete path.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/show-hidden-files-folders-extensions.html#main_W indows_XP

.Also double check that you are not hold down any computer keyboard key when you are doing your deletion - especially Alt.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                    Bridgeway Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have already deleted the Prel files once and started my project over from scratch. However, I have done so again and when I try to drag my clips into the sceneline I receive this message.....Settings.png

Is it possible that this is where my issue is occurring?

The settings I use are: NTSC-AVHCD-HD 1080i30

The video format is MP4

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                      Bridgeway Level 1

To follow up from my post earlier this afternoon, I have tried both way with this setting message. Yes and No. I get the same results either way.

Regards.

• 8. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bridgeway

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been fighting an often losing battle with my telephone line and Internet connection which has been going back and forth from

no connection to connection at 1/4 the speed it should be. The telephone company fix lasted 1 hour.

For best results (related or not to the issue under discussion), your project preset should match the properties of your source files. What are those properties -

1920 x 1080i30 or 1920 x 1080p30 or something else? From what you wrote, you (manually) or the project (automatically) set 1920 x 1080i30, and the project is calling that a mismatch.

Have we explored the following to get beyond the delete and close gap issue....

1. Make your cuts in the video.

2. With the mouse cursor, click and drag the segment directly upward to Video Track 2.

3. On Video Track 2, right click the segment and select Delete.

4. On Video Track 1, right click in the space left empty when you moved the segment to Video Track 2 and select Delete and Close Gap.

Does that work?

ATR

• 9. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                          Bridgeway Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have tried cutting the video/audio and moving it up to Video Track 2 and followed the instructions you provided, but I'm still having the same issue.

As for the settings, I manually set those as I'm starting a new project before I even bring the media in. Those are the setting I was instructed to set projects at.

Here are the video details:

Video settings.png

You will have to excuse my ignorance, I don't know what the p30 vs i30 mean in the setting options you provided me. Is there a different setting I should be starting the project with?

Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Audio issue in Premiere Elements10
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bridgeway

Thanks for the follow ups.

First about project preset. Whether the frame rate is interlaced ( i ) or progressive ( p ) will make a difference in the project preset that you select.

If 1920 x 1080i30, then you use

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

If 1920 x 1080p30, then you use

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97

The details in the screenshot do not tell us whether your video is interlaced or progressive. Can you determine which from your camera settings that you used for the recordings?

As for the video cuts/delete and close gap results...I am not clear what is happening. For just in case measures, could you post 3 screenshots

1. Video segment on Video Track 1 - cut, selected, and ready for the Delete and Close Gap Command,

2. The segment dragged straight upward to Video Track 2 where you click Delete.

3. What results when you go back to Video Track 1, right click the gap left when you moved the segment upward, and click on the pop up command

of Delete and Close Gap.

Thanks.

ATR