16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 8:02 PM by johnrellis

Bit Depth error possibly?

JPDucky

Hello all, I have been having trouble with photoshop and lightroom since I switched from mac to windows 8.1. The darks are way too dark, and the highlights are way to bright. Now, all the information is there, as I can easily pull it out, but in doing so everything looks all flat and unnatural. I am including photos for reference. I have tested another raw file from a different camera (d7100, the same type which these were shot) and the problem persists. The last picture is viewed on the default desktop app.Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).png

• 1. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
          JPDucky Level 1

The last image viewed in the desktop app did not post. Here it is.Screenshot (6).png

• 2. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So what is the "Desktop App" that is showing the final image in your second message?  If this is an OS app then you're seeing the camera-embedded preview, which is the Nikon rendering, that will always be different than the Adobe-rendered version that you'd see in ACR or PS.

Maybe you have ADL (Active D-Lighting) turned on where the camera automatically fixes images or even some highlight compression mode enabled.  This would only affect Nikon rendering like in the camera preview, not the Adobe rendering.

Go into your camera settings and verify all that is turned off as it'll only be confusing.

One way to test if it is a camera setting vs Adobe setting issue, would be to shoot RAW+JPG and view the NEF and JPG side-by-side.  If the JPG looks ok but the raw file is dark then it's almost certainly a camera setting.

None of this, so far, has to do with it being Windows, only a coincidence of your having changed camera settings at the same time you changed OSes.

If ADL is turned off as are any HDR or Highlight compression modes (I have a Canon so am not sure what they'd be called) and you're still seeing a difference, then maybe you just need to calibrate your monitor.  Windows 8.1 has a rudimentary calibration system.  The first thing to do would be to change your default profile to sRGB and then run the Windows calibration.  Google how to do them if you can't figure it out.

• 3. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
              JPDucky Level 1

Well, the same image looks just fine on my mac, but it died which is why I got a PC. I've always shot in manual, and I've only ever tried the ADL once when I first bought it, so I am positive it isn't that. EDIT: I am on a lenovo Y50 4K edition, and it came calibrated, so I'm pretty sure it has to be some sort of setting.

• 4. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                JPDucky Level 1

Bump

• 5. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                  JPDucky Level 1

Anyone? I am still having this problem. It is not my camera settings, those never change. I am not in anyway new to photography or adobe products either. There is something wrong and I want to fix it. Please help

• 6. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                    hsbn Level 3

It is never hurt to do double check those settings or maybe you can share some RAW file for people to take a look.

• 7. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                      JPDucky Level 1

Dropbox - DSC_8399.NEF

Link to RAW file

• 8. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                        JPDucky Level 1

I have now determined that this occurs with any type of large format file containing a photo, such as RAW or TIFF, and it is not particular to any brand of camera, as I have tested both Canon and NIkon. I am extremely disappointed in adobe and this forum's inability to help me resolve my problem. Please help me. I am going on 5 months with all adobe products being rendered practically useless and am becoming quite frustrated.

• 9. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                          Phil323uk Level 2

I would suggest that your display luminance (brightness) is set way to high.

And that you need to check it with with some sort of monitor calibration device.

• 10. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                            JPDucky Level 1

It's a laptop. Having tried it with other displays, including a projector, flatscreen, and monitor, I don't see how it could be a monitor calibration problem when it occurs everywhere. It is currently impossible for me to process my astro images.

• 11. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am on a lenovo Y50 4K edition, and it came calibrated, so I'm pretty sure it has to be some sort of setting.

Your likely problem is in bold. NEVER trust a factory calibration. Get your own calibrator and calibrate your display. There is no alternative if you want your images to look correct and reproducible.

• 12. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?

Clarifying statement: Apple's calibration out of the box is usually fairly good, so you might have gotten away with it before on your Mac however even there, it is not a good idea to not calibrate.

• 13. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                                  JPDucky Level 1

How can it be my calibration if every other product on my computer works exactly the way it is supposed to? It is only adobe products that are acting up. I am a gamer too so I would have noticed already if the colors were off.

• 14. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?

I would be a rich man if I got $1 for every time someone said this on this forum. It is the calibration every time. This happens because the monitor calibration profile is bad. This is extremely common on windows machines. Very often the monitor profile is corrupt in the default driver installations. No clue why but it is very common. Your other apps are not color managed so they don't actually use this file and won't be affected. That doesn't mean they will show you the right color but they simply ignore any calibration. You HAVE to calibrate your display using calibration hardware if you want to trust the color that your computer shows you. Other color managed apps will have the same problem as the Adobe Apps. If you don't want to spend the money (Spyder calibrators can be had for very little and they are fine but there are other low-cost solutions), go into your monitor's properties pane (right click on the desktop) and delete any profile you see associated with the monitor. This will make the computer assume your monitor has sRGB gamut. Windows also has a built-in visual calibration tool that you could run after that to get slightly better tone. This is not a real solution and there is no substitute for calibration but this is better than using a canned monitor profile.

• 15. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                                      Phil323uk Level 2

I'm not suggesting your colours are off, I'm suggesting your display is far too bright. Anyway what you see when you are gaming has nothing to do with photography. And as far as i can see proper display calibration with Lightroom is a requisite, not an option.

• 16. Re: Bit Depth error possibly?
                                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                                        I am on a lenovo Y50 4K edition, and it came calibrated

Lenovo's Web site doesn't say that the Y50 UHD comes factory-calibrated: Lenovo Y50 UHD Laptop | 15.6" High-Performance Gaming Notebook PC | Lenovo US.  However, there are lots of users complaining about the poor color reproduction of the laptop -- just Google "y50 uhd color".

I fully agree with Jao's recommended first steps and everyone's recommendation to calibrate with a hardware calibrator.  I have personally experienced a corrupt pre-installed color profile.