5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 9:35 PM by A.T. Romano

Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13

knorthcott

I've been trying to get adobe premiere elements working on some Lenovo T520 laptops. These are an advanced model laptop so shouldn't have issues with display drivers. When  attempting to run Adobe premier elements 12 or 13 I get the error message 'we have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster performance, please update your display driver'

I have read through every available forum and website to fix this and have done the following to no avail;

• Upgraded Intel HD Grapics 3000 driver to latest version
      • Disabled second graphics card (NVIDIA NVS 4200M) in device manager
      • Changed BIOS settings to run graphics from onboard Intel HD graphics (this removed the NVIDIA graphics card from device manager
      • Installed latest version of Quicktime
      • Searched for badddrivers.txt file on C drive and specifically in c:\programdata\adobe\premiereelements
      • Removed the adobe user profile data folders

Can you advise if there is any other possible fix for this issue? I've run out of options and have spent way too much time on this.

Kerry

• 1. Re: Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think (based on other messages) that you are exactly backwards... you want to disable the "low power" Intel device in Bios and use only the "high power" NVidia device

• 2. Re: Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kerry

You wrote

Searched for badddrivers.txt file on C drive and specifically in c:\programdata\adobe\premiereelements

So what did you do after the search? Did you find the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 12 and 13 and delete it?

If you have not already, delete the BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 and 13.

Assuming that you are using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....

If just have 12 installed...

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Depending on how many versions of Premiere Elements you have installed on that same computer, there will be folders in the Premiere Elements Folder.

You do not want anything that is in those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. You just want to delete that lone BadDrivers.txt file which is for Premiere Elements 12 and is found outside the 12.0 Folder there.

BadDriverstxt.JPG

Versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 12.0 have their BadDrivers.txt file inside their folder in the Premiere Elements Folder.

Now if you have Premiere Elements 13 installed along with 12 on the same computer, they will share this same BadDrivers.txt file. However, the baggage that 13 will bring to this area is a file named "Current Display Driver.txt". Do not bother with it.

After the BadDrivers.txt file is deleted, you close out of there, and reopen the program, the program generates a new BadDrivers.txt file but hopefully the display card error message(s) are gone. For more details, see item 0005 of my Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries blog post

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries

Important: Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

knorthcott

Add On....I would go with the Intel and disable the NVIDIA if you can get away with that.

ATR

• 4. Re: Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13
                knorthcott Level 1

Thanks for the advice all - I will try this on monday when I go back to the site I was working on.

John - Option to use Nvidia only driver I don't think is possible as I get no display at all. I have currently done as ATR suggested with no luck.

• 5. Re: Incompatible display driver - premiere elements 12 & 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

knorthcott

Quick add on...you say that the Intel by itself is a no go.

If a NIVIDA Control Panel is available, is there any control in it that suggests it can be used for a special customization related to use with Premiere Elements?

ATR