3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 11:45 AM by Bill Gehrke

Computer Build

usfsilverking

Hello all,

I posted here a couple moths ago trying to decide on a new build, and got some great suggestions!  I am now ready to purchase it and just wanted to post up my "final" parts list and get some more opinions and what not.  I will just quote myself from my previous thread as no need to re type it twice!

"I'm working on my parts list for a new Pc build i'm working on with a budget of $1500.  I already have my OS, a 120GB SSD, and 2 750Gb 7200RPM drives.  I also have ~3 5400RPM drives 500Gb-1Tb which as of now, will not be included in the build unless you guys think I could/should add them to my RAID array.  I have a 36" HD TV to be used for my monitor and have a mouse and keyboard.

I will be mostly using Davinci Resolve & premiere CC with some Photoshop and After Effects used routinely as well.  The primary footage I will be editing is CinemaDNG RAW from blackmagic camera's, with some 7D and GoPro thrown in every now and then also.

I will use my SSD as the OS drive, the 2 2TB drives in RAID 0 for my media/Projects drive and my 2 750GB drives for scratch disks."

Here is my current parts list:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9qBFCJ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9qBFCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($573.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($213.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($305.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($70.49 @ Amazon)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($70.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1619.88

Thanks a lot for your help!

-Kyle

• 1. Re: Computer Build
          cc_merchant Level 4

PSU is too limited. Get at least a Gold label or better with minimum 850 W. From Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

The PSU is one of the most crucial components in any system but also the one component most often overlooked. A good PSU will give you years of reliable work on your PC, a suboptimal or mediocre PSU will give you tremendous headaches and unexplainable crashes, hangs or errors, causing you to miss deadlines.

Go to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and get the Pro version. Enter all your components, including planned expansions, set the Motherboard to High End - Desktop, set the CPU Utilization (TDP) to 100%, set System Load to 100% and Capacitor Aging to 30% and press the Calculate button. Add 10 - 15% to this Wattage for safety and note the required amperage on the various rails (+3.3V, +5V and +12V). Based on these figures, select a good GOLD or PLATINUM label PSU, that meets the total wattage and the amperage on each rail. It is your best guarantee for long and reliable, trouble-free editing.

It is a myth that a big PSU uses more electricity than a small PSU. If the system needs 600W to run, a 650W PSU will use 600W and run at 92% of its capacity. A 1200W PSU will draw the same 600W from the wall outlet, but runs at 50% of its capacity. It is comparable to a Formula 1 race with a safety car situation. Bernd Schneider in his Mercedes AMG safety car will run at 92% of its capacity, the Formula 1 cars run at 50% of their capacity.

• 2. Re: Computer Build
            usfsilverking Level 1

How about this new list? :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nzFhGX

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nzFhGX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($573.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($213.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($305.98 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($348.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($150.99 @ Best Buy)

Total: $1884.88

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 18:39 EST-0500

• 3. Re: Computer Build
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is the day and age of SSD's  Get your self of a 128 GB SSD for your OS/Application drive.  I just found a Samsung 850 Pro for only $80. Then save up for a larger SSD after you get those two hard drives.  With a top of the line SSD on a true SATA III interface you have all the performance of a pair of hard drives in RAID 0 with none of the risk.  The Seagate Barracuda  ST2000DM001 is a faster hard drive than the HGST drive.