8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 1:47 AM by john beardsworth

Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed

Casita17

Let suppose I import a 30GB Aperture Library into LR which is on my HD. After the importation, if I send the imported library to the Trash and clear the Trash the disk space is not released by LR. So after a few importations I get the message that I do not have enough space on my HD to copy another library on the HD from an external drive which contains many Aperture libraries.

• 1. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does “library” in the phrase “send the imported library to the trash” mean? 

Is “library” something related to Aperture or something related to Lightroom?    Once you’ve sent this library to the trash are the images viewable in Lightroom or not?

The term for where picture information is stored in Lightroom is called a catalog and it is stored in a database file, but the pictures remain as individual files on the hard-drive, the locations of each are only pointed to by, rather than the image files contained within, the LR catalog database.

• 2. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
            Casita17 Level 1

Thank you for your question. I will try to be as clear as possible.

I have all my photos in an Aperture library on an external drive. My goal is to migrate from Aperture to Lightroom. To achieve that I am using a plugin provided by Adobe to move my photos from the Aperture library and create an Adobe database.

Unhappily this plugin requires that the Aperture library be on my internal MBP HD. This I cannot do because I only have a 500GB SSD HD on my MBP. My solution is to divide my Aperture library in small libraries which are exported one by one to my internal MBP HD . When one is exported by Aperture,  I import this small Aperture library using the LR plugin. The photos are copied on the LR database. When the import to LR is done, the small Aperture library is no longer useful and I move it in the Trash and I clear (empty) the Trash.

Then the issue arises because the space taken by the small library, let say 30GB is seen by OS X as being still in use. After a few cycles I cannot export any other small library as I get the (not enough memory) message. It looks like the Adobe plugin does not release the HD space of the library it imported.

Moderator Comment

Casita17

I unmarked your answer as being correct. The purpose of this feature is to identify correct answers. This can be useful in the future when other users are trying to identify solutions to their problems. So far as I can see, you haven't received a correct answer nor have you solved the problem yourself.

Thanks

IanLyons

• 3. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a Mac person and have no experience with Aperture, but the sizes you indicate are very large.  Do aperture libraries contain the images, themselves and/or previews or just the settings?  I have 50,000 images and my LR library that contains only settings is 900MB, hence the question.

• 4. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
                photo-enthusiast Level 1

Casita17,  I recommend you evaluate ssprengel's questions and advice.  Please read the following below, as we don't want you to lose images!  I fear that you may be using a "referenced" library in Aperture, and this is the reason your disk space is not being released.  I would NOT RECOMMEND breaking your library into pieces for now.   You may very likely lose critical linkages, especially in albums.  If you have a number of Aperture libraries to begin with, then never mind.  Just be aware, Lightroom users generally recommend using only one lightroom catalog, which it sounds like you're doing.

Lets forget your system drive for now.  Do you have two times the disk space on your photos drive?  If not, do you have another drive laying around with as much space?  I recommend you make a backup before you continue.

I'm not quite sure what approach your are using, but I think the root cause of your dilemma exists because of how Aperture and Lightroom manage and store your images.  It may help to post what actions you take, step by step, and include the error messages.

You may already know some of these concepts, but lets leave no stone unturned.

First, Aperture uses "libraries", which contain all metadata and previews.  These images may be stored within the database (managed images), outside the database (referenced images), or a combination.  Can you apply a filter to your all photos selection, and tell us how many managed and references images you have?

Please read this for a better explanation:

http://www.lifeafterphotoshop.com/managed-vs-referenced-files-in-aperture/

Second, Lightroom's catalog is like an Aperture library.  Only ALL images are stored externally, "referenced" in Aperture parlance.

You should be able to create the Lightroom Catalog on any drive.  However, where you eventually store your images depends on what options you choose in the plugin when importing these images.

Any "managed" photos in Aperture WILL BE copied to the location you specify in the plugin.  Any "referenced" files MAY OR MAY NOT BE copied to the location.  They may be copied, or they they may remain in place, depending what options you select in the plugin.

Not sure I follow where you have your aperture library, images, and where you eventually want to store your Lightroom catalog, and where you want to store your lightroom images.  I'd suggest not breaking up your Aperture library.

If you are short on disk space, I suggest making a backup.  Then, select all photos and change them from managed to referenced, which will relocate the photos from within the library, to outside the library, preferably on the same drive.  Then, create a Lightroom catalog, wherever you have room.

Run the plugin and choose the option NOT to copy the files.  This way, it will leave them in place on your photo drive.  Some images may be copied to the lightroom masters destination any way, so you may want to choose another location on your photo drive in the plugin import options anyway.

When the migration finishes, you can delete the Aperture library, which will not remove all that much, and will not make much more space available.  And do NOT delete the image location you designated in Aperture, because you'll now be using it for Lightroom.  But this way, you'll be able to keep your space usage under control.

But KEEP your backup, even after the migration, JUST IN CASE!

• 5. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steve,

FYI an Aperture Library = Catalog in Lightroom. However, a key difference is that an Aperture library can record images "referenced", just as in LR, or "managed" where those originals are stored directly inside the library, which obviously increases the library's size.

John

• 6. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed

When you run the plugin, are you clicking the Options button at its bottom left? It takes you to some settings where you can tell the plugin to leave referenced images where they are.

That's on the assumption you are referencing photos in Aperture. If not, use Aperture's Reorganise Masters/Originals command to move them out of the library and into regular folders.

• 7. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed
                      Casita17 Level 1

Thank you all,

Here is more information on the sequence of events.

With Aperture I had all my recent photos  managed by Aperture and all my old photos (those I had managed by Iphoto a long time ago) as referenced images. My Aperture Library was on my system disk and the referenced images on an external disk.

Because of space constraints to migrate to LR, I moved my managed library (Aperture) to an external drive and left the referenced images where they were. I then ran Aperture to make sure  that everything was ok . I had enough space to install LR and import all the Aperture managed and referenced images which were as mentioned earlier on the external drive. 

I ran the LR plugin and it did not work, did even started importing images.

Chatting with an Adobe technical person, I was told that the plugin cannot import a library and images residing on a USB external drive. This I did not know then and still cannot find any reference on this on the Adobe site or anywhere else.

My solution as mentioned in an earlier message was to export my whole Aperture library in pieces, import each piece one at a time into LR using the LR plugin. In the earlier message a description of the issue encountered is detailled. This evening based on the comments received I will use another approach. I will re-import the Aperture library on my system disk, I will make all images as referenced on the external disk and attempt import everything into LR using the plugin. If it works I will let you know. I anybody have some other ideas, please let me know.

• 8. Re: Plugin to import Aperture librairies does not release the memory used by the librairy after the import is completed

Yes, what you should be doing is Relocate Masters/Originals in Aperture, making all your photos referenced. Then in LR's import plugin, choose the option to leave referenced photos where they are. This way, you won't need all the extra disc space.