2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2007 3:43 PM by llamaofdeath

Scrolling

llamaofdeath
      I'm working on a project... Part of it will be a screen where text will scroll, like a ticketer, automatically, and there will be a couple buttons to slow or speed up the text speed. Thats basically all I need; I've seen how to make scrolling work via a button, but I don't know how to make it go automatically with a way to change the speed. Heres my idea; the text scrolling will be a separate movie clip with a mask for what I want shown; drop it into the frame I'm using (Basically in this application each frame is a separate page), set an interval and the function called every x milliseconds will move the movie clip ahead one frame. And if the speed up / down button is pushed I can reset the interval + or - that amount. Of course I am quite new to actionscript and have no idea how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Scrolling
          SymTsb Level 2
          basic theory is just the same as it would be with a button. rather than target the button press event handlers, you target onEnterFrame....your call would be something like this....

this.onEnterFrame = function() {
          buttonCode
          }
          • 2. Re: Scrolling
            llamaofdeath Level 1
            Alright, the scrolling works by moving a movie clip ahead a frame every x seconds. However, I cannot seem to get the movie to scroll smoothly. It is always jaggedy and rough while it scrolls. I tried moving the length of the scrolling movie up to 180 frames... still not right. I tried messing with the documents FPS, both down to 5 and up to 30... Still no avail. Any help would be great. Thanks.