6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2014 1:29 PM by JimHess

How to up load LR4 backup photos?

sarti1140

HD crashed and lost all photos.

Only information there is metadata for each photo, plus keywords with ?.

Trying to reload backup photos and message comes up "Photos already there"  or something like that.

I think it is because the metadata is still there.

How can I get rid of all metadata so original photos can be uploaded?

Gordon

• 1. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you copy your backup files back to the same location they were in (same drive letter, the same folder name) previously, that's all you have to do. Then you have working copies as well as your backups.

• 2. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?
            sarti1140 Level 1

Jim,

I don't understand. My backup photos are on an external HD. Do you mean for me to copy the backup file to the same drive? Is that going to bypass the LR message that looks at them as duplicates?

Gordon

• 3. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?

Your hard drive crashed, and you lost the images that were on that hard drive. Your Lightroom catalog is still looking for those same images on that hard drive, which is been replaced. If you put copies of your backup photos on to the new hard drive, in the same location that they were before, then Lightroom can associate the metadata with those images and you should be able to work normally. That's the whole purpose of backing up your catalog, and then backing up your images separately. But if your backups are not in the same folder structure that they were on the hard drive that crashed, then it'll probably be easier for you to just start over with a new catalog.

• 4. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?
                sarti1140 Level 1

Jim,

There in lies the problem.

When I try to import the backup photos they are all grayed out and the "import" button is dark. Will not allow any restore/input to LR.

I have uninstalled LR4 and reinstalled it and it went back and picked up the metadata files sitting on my "C" drive.

How can I reinstall LR4 and have it ignore the metadata files?

• 5. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?
                  sarti1140 Level 1

By the way, Can I run LR4 on an external HD in case my laptop crashes again?

• 6. Re: How to up load LR4 backup photos?

I didn't tell you to import them. I told you to copy them back to the new drive thing you have installed. They are already in the catalog. The adjustments that you made to the images Are stored in the catalog. All you need to do is use your operating system to copy the images back to the new hard drive. The new hard drive needs to have the same letter designation or name that it did previously, and if those images are in the same folder structure that they were before, that's all you need to do. The changes in the catalog will be applied to those copies that you placed back on the new hard drive, and you can continue right where you left off.

I don't think you can install Lightroom on a removable drive. I believe it needs to be on your main system drive. But the catalog and all of your images can be on an external drive. There's nothing in the Lightroom program that can't be reinstalled by downloading from Adobe. Everything that you have done is stored in the catalog.