6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 12:29 PM by Kawika808

Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?

Kawika808 Level 1

I have some otherwise nice clips with noticeable jitter (a sort of slight, but consistent, vibration or quivering motion).  I know that some post programs have a jitter removal function and I would like to know if this is possible in PE12.

• 1. Re: Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

What are the properties of the source media and what are you setting as the project preset?

Depending on what you are looking at, consider

a. Camera Shake - then look at applying  fx Effects/VideoStabilizer/Stabilizer to your clip and edit the effect accordingly

b. Mismatch of project settings - does the properties of your source media match the description of the project preset?

Are you looking at the rendered Timeline content when you are playing back the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor?

c. Are you working with interlaced video with episodes of fast motion?

d. Is your jitter rather a flicker - if so, see Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and, all the way to the

bottom is the AntiFlicker Filter and adjust the AntiFlicker slider accordingly.

e. There are also Timeline Field Options that we can apply via right clicking the Timeline video and selecting Field Options.

Please review and consider. Also, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated

12 to the 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

Please let us know if one or more of the above targeted your question. If not, please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?
            Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

At present there is no project, just clips that I view on laptop. I didn't see any point in starting a project with these until I could know if there was a way to remedy.

Videos are shot with GH3, 1080/60p, AVCHD.  Subject is stationary scene.  In my case, the problem seems to be confined to the 14-140mm lens; clips shot with 45-175mm and 100-300mm lenses seem fine. At least one other user has reported problems with a shorter lens, I believe it was 12-35mm (but I don't have one and don't recall exactly).  According to other users, the jitter appears to be lens related, not camera related (which would make sense given the fact that with Panasonic the IS is in the lens, not the body).  And in my case it seems to be confined to the 14-140mm.

The jitter is a known issue that has several threads on dpreview; this is where I discovered that at least some post programs have anti-jitter features.

The issue wasn't really camera shake; OIS was engaged and functioning, and there was no evidence of camera shake in the clips.  But your suggestion of fx Effects/VideoStabilizer/Stabilizer seems worth a try.

• 3. Re: Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

Thanks for the reply.

Could you post a link to one of those dpreview threads that goes into this jitter issue:

I am wondering if there is any possibility that it is referring to anti flicker. Yet, it is my understanding

that typically anti flicker relates more to interlaced video, and you are using progressive video.

I did a quick Google Search...lots and lots of anti shake, but did not run into anti jitter yet.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on it, the best Premiere Elements possible correction route might be through your Premiere Elements 12's fx Effect/Video Stabilizer/Stabilizer.

The latest version of Premiere Elements, 13, now uses the Shake Stabilizer instead. I am not sure how the results would compare on this, 12's Stabilizer vs 13's Shake Stabilizer.

What computer operating system is involved? If you have the free Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit, there is a new Stabilizer available there.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can PE12 remove/reduce video jitter?
                  Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, I'll try the PE12 stabilizer when I get some time.

Using PC, Win7, HP Pavilion dv7 (17").  I know I may miss out on some later developments but I didn't like Win8 and went back to Win7.

Right now, waiting to receive new GX7 with 14-42mm (It's a great camera, and prices are deeply discounted).  It will be interesting to try with the 14-42mm and with my other lenses (but not the 14-140mm, which I sent back) with the GX7 to see if the jitter is present.