9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 10:30 PM by maiyo8

Red print has shadow

bobjeanrich Level 1

When I try to print in InDesign 5.5 for the Mac on my color laser printer, the red print has a grey shadow slightly to the right of each letter. I frequently print in red and have not had this problem before. It does not occur on other colors. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

• 1. Re: Red print has shadow
          maiyo8 Level 1

Hi bobjeanrich.  Could you provide a photo of your printed result and a screen capture of the red text on your monitor so we could see what you see?

• 2. Re: Red print has shadow
            bobjeanrich Level 1

It does not show on the screen.

I think it has something to do with the fact that I was using a somewhat fancy font that doesn't have a "bold" so I put a very small stroke around the text and neglected to change the color of the stroke in the swatches box. I have done that now, but I have several versions of this document and in some the shadow still shows and in some it does not. In any event, I have decided to use green instead - after all this is for a Christmas card. Sometimes I have found that you get a quirk in an InDesign document and you just have to abandon that document and start anew.

Thank you so much for responding to my plea, but after spending far too much time on this, I think this is a case where I just have to move on.

• 3. Re: Red print has shadow
              maiyo8 Level 1

Now that I thought about it more, there's are two ideas you can try.  Forgive me if you've tried these already.  The first idea is that you could export the InDesign document as a PDF and print this PDF on your printer.  The other idea is to re-align the ink heads on your inkjet printer; the red/cyan ink cartridge may have misaligned.  If it's a laser printer, run the diagnostics to recalibrate.

I hope one of these suggestions may help prevent this in the future, besides avoiding the use of red.

• 4. Re: Red print has shadow
                bobjeanrich Level 1

1. It prints this way in pdf format too. I found it also prints this way in there colors, but in green the shadow is yellow, and since I am printing this on yellowish card stock, it doesn't show, so that is what I am doing.

2. I'm not sure how to run diagnostics on my laser printer. I'm using a Mac, and Macs don't get all the options from HP that PC's get.

3. If it should continue, I guess I'll have to break down and call HP Tech Suppot.

In another vein, do you by any chance know if there is a way to convert a pdf to jpeg format? Someone I work with wants to post a document I created on Facebook and she says it has to be jpeg. I ignore Facebook as much as I can so I don't know much about posting on it, but it seems as though you ought to be able to use pdf.

• 5. Re: Red print has shadow
                  Daniel Flavin Level 4

bobjeanrich wrote:

In another vein, do you by any chance know if there is a way to convert a pdf to jpeg format? Someone I work with wants to post a document I created on Facebook and she says it has to be jpeg. I ignore Facebook as much as I can so I don't know much about posting on it, but it seems as though you ought to be able to use pdf.

From Acrobat

File > Save As

or File > Export

• 6. Re: Red print has shadow
                    bobjeanrich Level 1

I finally figured out how to recalibrate, and it did the trick! The print looks beautiful now, even with a .125 stroke added.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Red print has shadow
                      maiyo8 Level 1

I am so glad that you found a solution that works for you bobjeanrich!  It's a good idea to recalibrate whenever you change the ink cartridges and/or there's a sudden climate change.

As for your other question about changing a PDF into a JPG file, there are a few ways to do it.

• If you still have the original InDesign file, I'd recommend exporting it as a JPG there.
                      • In Photoshop, select File > Save for Web... and choose JPEG from the dropdown menu.
                      • In Acrobat (as Daniel suggested above), select File > Save As > Image > JPEG.
                      • And since you're on a Mac, you could open the PDF in the Preview app and select File > Save As and choose JPEG.

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

• 8. Re: Red print has shadow
                        bobjeanrich Level 1

Thank you much. I learn something new every day! I never thought to look at that drop down menu at the bottom of the Export page in InDesign. It's a good thing that worked because I don't have Acrobat and my Preview doesn't have a Save As option. I never thought to try to pen the document in Photoshop - it's so complex I don't know whether or not it would have worked.

I shall save your comments for the future!

• 9. Re: Red print has shadow
                          maiyo8 Level 1

I'm glad one of those options helped.  Feel free to contact me if you need help changing your PDFs into JPGs.  I did a lot of this at my previous job.

Please be sure to mark your question as answered, so others may know that your issue was resolved -- Marking posts as correct or helpful on the Adobe forums

Cheers!